Gimp as primary tool for professional work?

  • Jules Smith
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 11, 2006
      Is anyone using Gimp as their primary tool for professional graphics
      work? What additional tools do you consider essential? What sort of
      work do you do with Gimp? Do you have an online portfolio?

      I've got a friend who's considering a career change into the graphics
      field. Since I've only dabbled with Gimp myself I'm not in a position
      to give him any authoritative advice on the tools required. It seems
      there's a perception that you need high-end commercial tools (like the
      Adobe suite) to compete at the professional level. My guess is that
      talent and skill are the real limiting factors, and that many
      successful professionals do just fine with open source tools like
      Gimp. I just need some evidence to convince him.

      Thanks,
      Jules

      http://www.lightningstrikestudios.com
      Professional Writing for the Chronically Busy
    • dracowolf
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 11, 2006
        well as someone who uses both, truth be told there is not that much
        diffrent between Gimp and Photoshop.

        Photoshop has a sightly cleaner interface, infact I do not remember who
        gave me this comparesion but its like driveing a ford then driveing a
        chevy. basicaly if you understand one then you understand the other, you
        just need to know where the winshield wiper switch is.

        as for Adobe CS witch is the massive collection of software here is a
        side by side comparesion.

        Photoshop---------- gimp
        not much to say except that they are close enoungh alike.
        Illustrator----- ??
        I do not know of a alternitave to illustrator, its a Vector based
        drawing software, but its not as advance as cadd
        InDesign-------- QuarkExpress
        InDesign is slowly replaceing Pagemaker in the market. but some
        companies still think that quark is better than either

        Golive---------- any WEB page builder.

        I have not used go live personally but from what I have see its just an
        advance web page builder, I am sure that there are other places to get
        that software.

        then Acrobat------------ any PDF creator/editor

        it all depends on what your friend uses. if he goes to a college or
        university he might not have to purchase anything, but if he has to
        makesureto go to a good educational software seller, and beware that the
        school might teach indesign the company might want Quark.

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 12, 2006
          Thanks for the information!

          To fill out your chart further, Inkscape may be an open source
          alternative to Illustrator, and Scribus an alternative to both Quark
          and InDesign. Again, not having a great deal of familiarity with
          these applications, I can't say how well they compare with the
          commercial competition.

          --- In thegimp2@yahoogroups.com, dracowolf <ANdracowolf@...> wrote:

          > well as someone who uses both, truth be told there is not that much
          > diffrent between Gimp and Photoshop.
          >
          > Photoshop has a sightly cleaner interface, infact I do not remember who
          > gave me this comparesion but its like driveing a ford then driveing a
          > chevy. basicaly if you understand one then you understand the other,
          you
          > just need to know where the winshield wiper switch is.
          >
          > as for Adobe CS witch is the massive collection of software here is a
          > side by side comparesion.
          >
          > Photoshop---------- gimp
          > not much to say except that they are close enoungh alike.
          > Illustrator----- ??
          > I do not know of a alternitave to illustrator, its a Vector based
          > drawing software, but its not as advance as cadd
          > InDesign-------- QuarkExpress
          > InDesign is slowly replaceing Pagemaker in the market. but some
          > companies still think that quark is better than either
          >
          > Golive---------- any WEB page builder.
          >
          > I have not used go live personally but from what I have see its just an
          > advance web page builder, I am sure that there are other places to get
          > that software.
          >
          > then Acrobat------------ any PDF creator/editor
          >
          > it all depends on what your friend uses. if he goes to a college or
          > university he might not have to purchase anything, but if he has to
          > makesureto go to a good educational software seller, and beware that
          the
          > school might teach indesign the company might want Quark.
        • Utch Entel
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 12, 2006
            On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:47:00 -0000, Jules Smith wrote:

            >Is anyone using Gimp as their primary tool for professional graphics
            >work? What additional tools do you consider essential? What sort of
            >work do you do with Gimp? Do you have an online portfolio?
            >
            >I've got a friend who's considering a career change into the graphics
            >field. Since I've only dabbled with Gimp myself I'm not in a position
            >to give him any authoritative advice on the tools required. It seems
            >there's a perception that you need high-end commercial tools (like the
            >Adobe suite) to compete at the professional level. My guess is that
            >talent and skill are the real limiting factors, and that many
            >successful professionals do just fine with open source tools like
            >Gimp. I just need some evidence to convince him.

            Hi, Jules!

            I've been in Photography since, roughly, 1974... ...but I am rather new
            to the digital darkroom magic available to Photoshop and Gimp. Everyone
            I know touts Photoshop. I have used it, now, for a few years. I find it
            user hostile. Sure, it gets the job done... ...but I have found that
            Gimp does just as well. In fact, since Adobe Photoshop went CS I
            decided to quit throwing away my money on upgrading it and to try Gimp.
            I haven't turned back. I like Gimp! I find Gimp as easy to use (I'm
            sorry... ...that doesn't say much), but more importantly, I find Gimp
            as powerful as Photoshop. Okay, okay, I admit I'm an old darkroom
            tech... ...the software end of digital photography I am young at...
            ..but I would tell your friend to forget Adobe and look ONLY to Gimp.
            Yah, sure, my commercial photography expertise is limited... ...as I am
            expert in intelligence Aerial Photography for the U.S. military...
            ...but my hobby is landscape scenery stuff. Check out my website at:

            http://www.utchs.com/

            My website is all free... ...so I don't put the time into it that would
            constitute real money. Even still... ...I wouldn't give Adobe any MORE
            of my money... ...they don't deserve it. Gimp is quality. Gimp is
            powerful. Gimp gives me all I need. Now... ...that is ONLY me! I'm sure
            there is SOMEONE out there that HAS to have Photoshop to do what the
            need... ...phlahaaaah.... ...okay... ...the poor soul should be happy
            now. I like Gimp, though.

            Maybe a REAL digital darkroom tech out there will confront me with how
            Adobe will do this and that that Gimp won't... ...great... ...please,
            let's hear from you. I consider myself an amatuer... ...so I understand
            that those who make a living at this need their tools. Educate me.
            Elucidate me. Make me see the light... ...because Adobe WANTS my
            money!!!

            So, yes, Gimp is my primary tool. Actually, it is my only digital
            darkroom tool. Check out my website to see my work at the url noted
            above. Check out my online shop at:

            http://www.cafepress.com/utchsshop/

            ...to see what I have to offer.

            Thank you for such a relevent question.

            ...Utch

            ----------------- Tear and crumple after reading -----------------

            Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. ...Laurence J. Peter

            ************ Scenic and Landscape Photography ************
            Utch's Online Photo Gallery http://www.utchs.com/
            Utch's Web Page Blog http://utchs.blogspot.com/
            Utch's Online Shop http://www.cafeshops.com/utchsshop/
          • Dale Welch
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 12, 2006
              the biggest problems are more in trying to get the color matching ability that printing
              under windows and macintosh has. And that some of the tools that photoshop has help with.

              If you are printing from windows.... it probably won't be so bad depending on your printer.
              I am disappointed with some of the printing from linux with my epson 2200 and the quality
              as compared to the windows drivers.

              But i often do everything under linux then switch to windows to print out.
              photoshop cs has many features gimp does not have... but i rarely need those features.

              hopefully soon some new features may come to gimp. and it is good to be able
              to work under linux, and windows and have the same program. In fact i carry a
              knoppix cd and boot up on friends computers with out installing anything on their
              computers still have my primary environment and tools to work with.

              --- dale
            • dracowolf
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 12, 2006
                yea.. I have not tried CS... but I have used old verson 7 and right now
                they are both hard to use at times, mainly finding what I am looking for.

                the main reason I stick with PS is all of the plugins that are
                availabel. I used Alien Skin's Eye candy and I like them.. so either I
                need to search for the free versions, or perhaps someone will write a
                scrip that can convert PS plugins into Gimp

                Utch Entel wrote:

> [...]
                >
                > Maybe a REAL digital darkroom tech out there will confront me with how
                > Adobe will do this and that that Gimp won't... ...great... ...please,
                > let's hear from you. I consider myself an amatuer... ...so I understand
                > that those who make a living at this need their tools. Educate me.
                > Elucidate me. Make me see the light... ...because Adobe WANTS my
                > money!!!
                >
                > So, yes, Gimp is my primary tool. Actually, it is my only digital
                > darkroom tool. Check out my website to see my work at the url noted
                > above. Check out my online shop at:
                >
                > http://www.cafepress.com/utchsshop/ <http://www.cafepress.com/utchsshop/>
                >
                > ...to see what I have to offer.
                >
                > Thank you for such a relevent question.
                >
                > ...Utch
                >
                > ----------------- Tear and crumple after reading -----------------
                >
                > Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. ...Laurence J. Peter

              • weisbeek
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 13, 2006
                  Jules,

                  When I visited www.lightningstrikestudios.com I noticed that your logo
                  took quite some time to load. Therefore I looked at its filesize: it
                  is about 140 kilobytes. That's too large for such a logo.

                  This PNG is saved with a RGB color pallette. So I loaded it in GIMP
                  (2.3.9, but other versions work as well) and converted it to an
                  indexed color pallette (menu Image > Mode > Indexed; max 255 colors
                  and no color dithering selected).
                  That way your logo is only 9 kilobytes and will load 'lightning fast' ;-)

                  --
                  Greetings,

                  Martijn
                  http://gimp.startpagina.nl
                • Jules Smith
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 13, 2006
                    Martijn,

                    Fantastic! Thank you very much. I tried it myself and got the same
                    file size you got, and I've uploaded the new file to the site. I will
                    definitely keep this in mind for next time.

                    I took a look at your site. It's too bad I don't read Dutch, but I
                    was able to get something out of it. Do you do professional Gimp
                    work, either freelance or for a company?

                    Thanks again,

                    --- In thegimp2@yahoogroups.com, weisbeek <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > Jules,
                    >
                    > When I visited www.lightningstrikestudios.com I noticed that your logo
                    > took quite some time to load. Therefore I looked at its filesize: it
                    > is about 140 kilobytes. That's too large for such a logo.
                    >
                    > This PNG is saved with a RGB color pallette. So I loaded it in GIMP
                    > (2.3.9, but other versions work as well) and converted it to an
                    > indexed color pallette (menu Image > Mode > Indexed; max 255 colors
                    > and no color dithering selected).
                    > That way your logo is only 9 kilobytes and will load 'lightning
                    fast' ;-)

                    > --
                    > Greetings,
                    >
                    > Martijn
                    > http://gimp.startpagina.nl

                  • Jules Smith
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 13, 2006
                      Dale,

                      Would the same thing be true -- the need to move the file to Windows
                      to print with correct colors -- if you were using an outside print
                      house? Wouldn't you then just send them TIF files, or some other
                      format, and let them do the color matching?

                      --- In thegimp2@yahoogroups.com, Dale Welch <mlist5@...> wrote:

                      > the biggest problems are more in trying to get the color matching
                      ability that printing
                      > under windows and macintosh has. And that some of the tools that
                      photoshop has help with.

                      > If you are printing from windows.... it probably won't be so bad
                      depending on your printer.
                      > I am disappointed with some of the printing from linux with my epson
                      2200 and the quality
                      > as compared to the windows drivers.
                      >
                      > But i often do everything under linux then switch to windows to
                      print out.
                      > photoshop cs has many features gimp does not have... but i rarely
                      need those features.

                      > hopefully soon some new features may come to gimp. and it is good
                      to be able
                      > to work under linux, and windows and have the same program. In fact
                      i carry a
                      > knoppix cd and boot up on friends computers with out installing
                      anything on their
                      > computers still have my primary environment and tools to work with.
                      >
                      > --- dale

                    • dracowolf
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 13, 2006
                        you would need to ask the print house...

                        some just take the file and go with it. some places might allow you to
                        edit it sightly.

                        Jules Smith wrote:

                        > Dale,
                        >
                        > Would the same thing be true -- the need to move the file to Windows
                        > to print with correct colors -- if you were using an outside print
                        > house? Wouldn't you then just send them TIF files, or some other
                        > format, and let them do the color matching?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Jules
                        >
                        > http://www.lightningstrikestudios.com
                        > <http://www.lightningstrikestudios.com>
                        > Professional Writing for the Chronically Busy
                        >
                        > --- In thegimp2@yahoogroups.com <mailto:thegimp2%40yahoogroups.com>,
                        > Dale Welch <mlist5@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > the biggest problems are more in trying to get the color matching
                        > ability that printing
                        > > under windows and macintosh has. And that some of the tools that
                        > photoshop has help with.
                        > >
                        > > If you are printing from windows.... it probably won't be so bad
                        > depending on your printer.
                        > > I am disappointed with some of the printing from linux with my epson
                        > 2200 and the quality
                        > > as compared to the windows drivers.
                        > >
                        > > But i often do everything under linux then switch to windows to
                        > print out.
                        > > photoshop cs has many features gimp does not have... but i rarely
                        > need those features.
                        > >
                        > > hopefully soon some new features may come to gimp. and it is good
                        > to be able
                        > > to work under linux, and windows and have the same program. In fact
                        > i carry a
                        > > knoppix cd and boot up on friends computers with out installing
                        > anything on their
                        > > computers still have my primary environment and tools to work with.
                        > >
                        > > --- dale

                      • ANDREW COULSON
                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 14, 2006
                          I'm also looking at a move into photography and
                          graphics and have been using GIMP and Inkscape for
                          some time now. I have been trying out various
                          techniques, often trying to "GIMPify" techniques in
                          magazines Photoshop tutorials. So far the only thing
                          I haven't been able to replicate is some of the
                          adjustment layer features, though I have worked around
                          these, albeit in a slightly less elegant and more long
                          winded way.

                          My only real frustration with GIMP under windows is
                          printing. It uses the Windows print system and is
                          ******* awful! Any suggestions to improve it would be
                          welcomed.

                          I am considering a switch to Linux and wonder whether
                          the printing management is any better there

                          Andy

                          Andy Coulson
                          coulson.andy1@...

                          http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html