digital watermarks

  • cj_moloney
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2005
      I want to protect images displayed on the Internet. Does anyone know
      if there is a gimp plugin to create digital watermarks?
    • weisbeek
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 2005
        --- In thegimp2@yahoogroups.com, "cj_moloney" <cjmoloney@r...> wrote:
        > I want to protect images displayed on the Internet. Does anyone know
        > if there is a gimp plugin to create digital watermarks?

        I think http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=2663 will become your
        friend. This is a Watermark-script for GIMP. As it is a script, you
        can just put it in your /share/gimp/2.0/scripts folder from GIMP
        (usually at C:\program files\gimp-2.0).

        Then you restart GIMP and the script will appear in the menu Script-Fu
        > MyScript > Watermark. You will be able to type a text, select a font
        for the text, the text size, where you want the text to appear in the
        picture (top, bottom, left, right) and how much transparency to apply
        to the text.

        I guess the only option that is missing is a batch-watermark-option
        that applies the same effects to a batch of images. But perhaps this
        script can easily be adjusted to also do that. Then it should not work
        on the current image, but be able to work on multiple images
        (somewhere on disk).

        Please let me know if this works for you.

        Greetings,

        Martijn
        - http://gimp.pagina.nl
      • Chris Moloney
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 22, 2005
          Thanks Marti,

          This is pretty good. The only thing I cant seem to do is to select the
          watermark and drag it over the center of the image. (so it cant be
          cropped off). But I'll keep playing with it.
          Thanks for your help.
          Regards
          Christy

          weisbeek wrote:

          > --- In thegimp2@yahoogroups.com, "cj_moloney" <cjmoloney@r...> wrote:
          > > I want to protect images displayed on the Internet. Does anyone know
          > > if there is a gimp plugin to create digital watermarks?
          >

          > I think http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=2663 will become your
          > friend. This is a Watermark-script for GIMP. As it is a script, you
          > can just put it in your /share/gimp/2.0/scripts folder from GIMP
          > (usually at C:\program files\gimp-2.0).
          >
          > Then you restart GIMP and the script will appear in the menu Script-Fu
          > > MyScript > Watermark. You will be able to type a text, select a font
          > for the text, the text size, where you want the text to appear in the
          > picture (top, bottom, left, right) and how much transparency to apply
          > to the text.
          >
          > I guess the only option that is missing is a batch-watermark-option
          > that applies the same effects to a batch of images. But perhaps this
          > script can easily be adjusted to also do that. Then it should not work
          > on the current image, but be able to work on multiple images
          > (somewhere on disk).
          >
          > Please let me know if this works for you.
          >
          > Greetings,
          >
          > Martijn
          > - http://gimp.pagina.nl

        • weisbeek
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 23, 2005
            Christy,

            > This is pretty good. The only thing I cant seem to do is to select the
            > watermark and drag it over the center of the image. (so it cant be
            > cropped off). But I'll keep playing with it.
            > Thanks for your help.

            Also that is possible using this script. However, you should make a little modification to it.
            One of the last actions in the watermark-script is to Flatten the resulting image:
            (gimp-image-flatten image)
            However, now you tell that you want to process the image afterwards. You can do so if the script would not flatten the image at the end.
            Therefore we place a ;-character at the start of this line, like this:
            ; (gimp-image-flatten image)
            Then this line in the script is treated like a comment and will not be executed by GIMP.

            When you restart GIMP and use the script again the image will not be flattened and the text will be in a seperate layer. Now you can move this layer around using the MoveLayer-tool (M).
            The Layers-dialog might also be helpful with selecting the right layer (you can use CTRL+L to access this dialog) to edit. You can now even change the text, although GIMP will warn that some operations were executed on this text-layer so these might get undone. However, this result after editing the text in the layer still looks fine.

            Of course when you are finished you can still flatten the image (using the menu Image > Flatten Image). Then you have the most from this script and from the possibilities of GIMP. Now you see how flexible GIMP can be.

            I already made this modification, so I posted this version in the Yahoo! Group. Everyone should have received a message about the uploaded file.

            Greetings,

            Martijn
            http://gimp.pagina.nl
          • Chris Moloney