can someone translate this tutorial to gimp terms for me please?

  • Stacy
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2009
      i would really like to know how to do it just like this!

      http://www.flash-game-design.com/tutorials/glitText-photoshop-tutorial.html
    • weisbeek
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2009
        Stacy,

        I have tried using this tutorial with GIMP. To begin with I do not have the font they are using (Arial Black), so I use Arial Bold (which will give another result).

        However, I get stuck when they are using layer sets for creating the stars. Then a set of layers is created and is copied. GIMP can link layers and one can perform the same operation to these linked layers (as I understand from http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-user/2005-November/006799.html ), but I do not know about copying a group of layers within GIMP.

        To translate the tutorial in GIMP-terms:
        - Select > Modify > Contract is Select > Shrink in GIMP
        - Select > Modify > Expand is Select > Grow in GIMP
        - when you create text in GIMP, the text is created in a new layer (so you can easily change the font or size later); when you do not need the additional text layer you can remove it by going to the layer menu and selecting "Merge down".

        This hints should get you up to speed with the text part of the tutorial. I hope someone on the list does know how to mimick layer sets in GIMP, but perhaps the GIMP-software should be adjusted to support these layer sets.

        Kind regards,

        Martijn
      • Stacy
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2009
          hey martijn thanks for the help i will try this!