Urania's Mirror

  • Diana K. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2005

      Derek wrote:

      >I don't know if Barnes and Noble is still carrying it, but a couple months
      >ago they were displaying a copy of Urania's Mirror for about $15. In
      >addition to just the book, it came with a tiny star chart that is pretty
      >neat, it has a moving dial to show what constellations are rising, though
      >like Astrology charts it is all backwards which it makes it hard to use if
      >you are standing up and looking north.
      >But the major keeper is that it comes with a set of really large cards
      >depicting the constellations in graphic form, as well as pinholes guaged to
      >mirror brightness. Because of relative movement of the stars (the book is
      >400 years old and i don't know if the cards have been updated), it may not
      >be as accurate to look through as one might believe, but i think just for th
      >ecards and the short bio of the constellations it is great for anyone
      >starting out with Fixed stars, not that anyone here seems like a beginner
      >(besides me of course!!).

      Hi Derek,

      Not 400 years old, actually 180 years. There are no RA or Declination
      indicators, so you don't have to worry about positions.

      I have a version of those cards, sold under the title "The Box of
      Stars" put out in 1993 by Catherine Tennant.

      The cards are charming - they were originally hand-painted by a "a
      lady" (in those days some considered it unseemly for a woman to put
      her name to anything public) and published in London about 1825. I
      have one in my picture files - it's Aquarius - if anyone wants to see
      it, let me know (I can't send attachments to the list).