Orion

  • Diana K. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
      Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:46:07 -0000
      From: "msbhavens1" <msbhavens1@...>
      Subject: Re: Hatsya: reply to Beth (was Fixed star alignments, etc.)

      http://www.arm.ac.uk/history/cmt_fish.jpg

      http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/constellations/orion.html

      >The second URL I like even better, but I would have shown him using the
      >Sword and just the scaboard hanging at his back if I was going to do
      >this, Some swords have very long grips. CAn be used for balance, or in
      >fighting or just because you need it to reach it in a hurry.
      >
      >but both at least have the swoard at his back which is much more likely
      >if you were calling it a sword, I still think originally it was
      >probably not his "sword" ;-)

      The true "picture" of Orion is with him facing front - the old maps
      that have him front-to-back derive from old "god's eye view" maps.

      This is from the intro to my fixed stars report writer:

      I have described each star's placement within its constellation
      figure, as far as can be ascertained (some of these placements are
      open to question; however, they have turned out to be extremely
      important, and so have been attempted); each constellation figure is
      described as it is seen from Earth (rather than reversed as in a
      “god’s-eye” view as some old sky maps show them). Left or right means
      the figure’s own left or right; for this approach I have the authority
      of the 2nd-century BCE astronomer-astrologer Hipparchus, considered
      the greatest ancient authority on constellation figures; this is from
      his only surviving work:

      “All stars’ positions are fixed with reference to our point of view, as if they were
      turned towards us, except if one or another of them is in profile. Aratus in many examples
      makes this clear; in all instances where he clearly describes the right or left portion of a
      constellation his description agrees with this hypothesis.”
      -Hipparchus, Arati et Eudoxi Phaenomena, I, 4, 1-8

      It is interesting that this extraordinary scientist (discoverer of
      precession of the equinoxes) went to the trouble of writing a 2-volume
      work detailing the exact postures and positions of the constellation
      figures, correcting errors in Eudoxos and Aratus; it demonstrates the
      importance he placed on their precise locations and delineations.
      Roman astrologer Manilius, writing almost 2 centuries later, carried
      forward this idea:

      “You must not divert your attention from the smallest detail; nothing
      exists without reason or has been uselessly created.” -Manilius,
      Astronomica, Book II (ca 10 CE)

      Whether phallus or sword, it's at the front of the figure.

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2005
        I was writing from a fighters prospective, not astrologers, from a
        fighters prospective, that is NOT the place to carry a sword, I put
        those urls forward to show that at least someone with some knowledge
        of swords figured that out and tried to rectify it in drawings. Even
        so, I think anyone with any experience of swordsmanship would realize
        that it isn't a metal sword hanging there... ;-) okay I suspect I've
        carried this conversation on quite farther than some would like. =)

        Beth

        --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
          --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "msbhavens1" <msbhavens1@y...>
          wrote:

          > I was writing from a fighters prospective, not astrologers, from a
          > fighters prospective, that is NOT the place to carry a sword, I put
          > those urls forward to show that at least someone with some knowledge
          > of swords figured that out and tried to rectify it in drawings. Even
          > so, I think anyone with any experience of swordsmanship would realize
          > that it isn't a metal sword hanging there... ;-)

          Thank you for pointing that out.

          Now let me see if I can match the alignment of Juno with Hatsya with
          current events.

          A Utah state judge from the Washington County town of Hildale (next to
          Colorado City, Arizona--that ring any bells?) may get removed from the
          bench for being married to several women at once. He's a member of the
          infamous Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

          Jeremy Brian Jones, an Oklahoma man convicted in Alabama of raping and
          killing a woman, may be a serial killer responsible for as many as 16
          more sex slayings. He's confessed to 12 of them.

          A woman in New York was raped by a man impersonating a firefighter on
          Halloween night.

          I don't know about outside the US.

          Mark A. Holmes

> [...]
          > > -Hipparchus, Arati et
          > Eudoxi Phaenomena, I, 4, 1-8
          > >
          > > It is interesting that this extraordinary scientist (discoverer of
          > > precession of the equinoxes) went to the trouble of writing a 2-
          > volume
          > > work detailing the exact postures and positions of the constellation
          > > figures, correcting errors in Eudoxos and Aratus; it demonstrates
          > the
          > > importance he placed on their precise locations and delineations.
          > > Roman astrologer Manilius, writing almost 2 centuries later, carried
          > > forward this idea:
          > >
          > > "You must not divert your attention from the smallest detail;
          > nothing
          > > exists without reason or has been uselessly created." -Manilius,
          > > Astronomica, Book II (ca 10 CE)
          > >
          > > Whether phallus or sword, it's at the front of the figure.

        • Astrocalypse
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
            In England, ex-Home Secretary David Blunkett, recently appointed as Works and Pension Secretary, was forced to resign for the second time because of impropiety in the conduct of his business affairs.  The first scandal was about him bedding someone's wife and fathered 'their' first child and he thought her second child was also his.  It is obvious that he has become used to living a high life and frequent one of the most exclusive clubs in London, he wears finely taylored suits, more so than Blair and Bush I'd say.  The money has to come from somewhere.  His political life may be over, little doubt he will transform into a much sought after business 'consultant'.

            Blair is dealt a double blow due to the above as well as a forced climbdown with a controversial anti-terror legislation.

            Does this describe Juno on the 'handle' of Orion ?

            Cal

              Miss B replies... LOL your welcome, dont worry no one expects you to
              compete with a constellation. ;-)

              > Now let me see if I can match the alignment of Juno with Hatsya with
              > current events.
              >
              > A Utah state judge from the Washington County town of Hildale (next
              to Colorado City, Arizona--that ring any bells?) may get removed from
              the bench for being married to several women at once. He's a member
              of the infamous Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day
              Saints.

              > Jeremy Brian Jones, an Oklahoma man convicted in Alabama of raping
              and killing a woman, may be a serial killer responsible for as many
              as 16 more sex slayings. He's confessed to 12 of them.

              > A woman in New York was raped by a man impersonating a firefighter
              on Halloween night.

              MissB replies: now that is particularly offensive! where does the
              seemingly protective male turned Monster come in? any thoughts?

              > I don't know about outside the US.

              MissB suggests, what about the Pakistani woman who was raped (by
              court order to get even with her brothers alleged evil action of
              marrying another woman without that girls families permission) coming
              to US to get out the message about the this practice in less
              civilized nations, hell uncevilized nations...

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005

                --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Astrocalypse"
                <astrocalypse@b...> wrote:

                > In England, ex-Home Secretary David Blunkett, recently appointed as
                Works and Pension Secretary, was forced to resign for the second time
                because of impropiety in the conduct of his business affairs. The
                first scandal was about him bedding someone's wife and fathered
                'their' first child and he thought her second child was also his. It
                is obvious that he has become used to living a high life and frequent
                one of the most exclusive clubs in London, he wears finely taylored
                suits, more so than Blair and Bush I'd say. The money has to come
                from somewhere. His political life may be over, little doubt he will
                transform into a much sought after business 'consultant'.

                > Blair is dealt a double blow due to the above as well as a forced
                climbdown with a controversial anti-terror legislation.

                > Does this describe Juno on the 'handle' of Orion ?
                >
                > Cal

                Sounds like it does. <g>

                Thanks.

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
                  wrote:

                  > > Thank you for pointing that out.
                  > Miss B replies... LOL your welcome, dont worry no one expects you to
                  > compete with a constellation. ;-)
                  > >
                  > > Now let me see if I can match the alignment of Juno with Hatsya with
                  > > current events.
                  > >
                  > > A Utah state judge from the Washington County town of Hildale (next
                  > to Colorado City, Arizona--that ring any bells?) may get removed from
                  > the bench for being married to several women at once. He's a member
                  > of the infamous Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day
                  > Saints.
                  > >
                  > > Jeremy Brian Jones, an Oklahoma man convicted in Alabama of raping
                  > and killing a woman, may be a serial killer responsible for as many
                  > as 16 more sex slayings. He's confessed to 12 of them.
                  > >
                  > > A woman in New York was raped by a man impersonating a firefighter
                  > on Halloween night.
                  >
                  > MissB replies: now that is particularly offensive! where does the
                  > seemingly protective male turned Monster come in? any thoughts?
                  > >
                  > > I don't know about outside the US.
                  >
                  > MissB suggests, what about the Pakistani woman who was raped (by
                  > court order to get even with her brothers alleged evil action of
                  > marrying another woman without that girls families permission) coming
                  > to US to get out the message about the this practice in less
                  > civilized nations, hell uncevilized nations...

                  Yes...

                  Mark A. Holmes
                • Astrocalypse
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 2, 2005
                    Should have spotted this before -

                    David Blunkett      Uranus 21 Gemini
                    Tony Blair            Neptune 21 Libra Saturn 22 Libra

                    Cal

                    > Does this describe Juno on the 'handle' of Orion ?
                    >
                    > Cal

                    Sounds like it does. <g>

                    Thanks.