[thefixedstars] Black Death Compendium 1348

  • jodoch
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hello Fixed Stars,

      Found the original Latin text (and translation to French) of the "Compendium
      de epidemia compilatum per Collegium Facultatis Medicorum Parisiis" 1348, in
      this book "Etude historique et critique sur la peste", by H. Emile RĂ©bouis
      where the Mars, Jupiter, Saturn conjunction is mentioned as one of the
      possible causes of the Black Death :

      Page 77 :

      http://194.254.96.21/livanc/?p=85&cote=70399&do=page

      and pages 79 and 81

      It also mentions "the conjunction of Mars and the North Node of the Moon in
      Leo the 6th October 1347 till the end of May of the present year " (1348) as
      one of the causes.

      Many other interesting ancient texts (and images) on pestilence here :

      http://www.bium.univ-paris5.fr/histmed/medica/peste.htm

      All the best,

      Joanna
    • Diana K. Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2005
        Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 20:30:18 +0100
        From: "jodoch" <jodoch@...>
        Subject: Black Death Compendium 1348

        >Hello Fixed Stars,

        >Found the original Latin text (and translation to French) of the "Compendium
        de epidemia compilatum per Collegium Facultatis Medicorum Parisiis" 1348, in
        this book "Etude historique et critique sur la peste", by H. Emile RĂ©bouis
        where the Mars, Jupiter, Saturn conjunction is mentioned as one of the
        possible causes of the Black Death :

        Page 77 :

        http://194.254.96.21/livanc/?p=85&cote=70399&do=page

        and pages 79 and 81

        >It also mentions "the conjunction of Mars and the North Node of the Moon in
        Leo the 6th October 1347 till the end of May of the present year " (1348) as
        one of the causes.

        Many other interesting ancient texts (and images) on pestilence here :

        http://www.bium.univ-paris5.fr/histmed/medica/peste.htm

        All the best,

        Joanna

        Thank you, Joanna! It's great!

        I wish it were in English - my French is extremely limited - but it's
        great to have it!