Seginus/Ceginus

  • Diana K. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
      Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 19:26:34 -0000
      From: "mahtezcatpoc" <mahtezcatpoc@...>
      Subject: Re: Seginus

      --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Diana K. Rosenberg"

      Mark wrote:

      >Yeah, Seginus, with an S, is Gamma Bootis. My copy of SolarFire had
      >Phi Bootis as Ceginus, with a C. No spelling error there, just two
      >stars with almost identical names.

      That's a Solar Fire star-list error (there are lots of them,
      unfortunately). For Ceginus/Seginus, see Allen, pp 95 and
      103.

      Another authority, Jobes' "Outer Space" has: "Seginus, Gamma
      Bootis: from Kheturus, Arabic orthography from the Greek
      Arcturus, Alpha Bootis. Also written Ceginus, Chegninus,
      Cheguius.

      Under Cepheus, Jobes has: "Medieval Latin derivatives:
      Caicans, Ceginus, Ceichius, Chegninus, Chegnius, Cheguinus,
      Chiphus, some of which also are attached to Bootes"

      As I said, this is a Solar Fire error, and I'd hate to see
      it carried forward - star names are confusing enough as it
      is!

      Very few stars as dim as Phi Bootis are named.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
        --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
        wrote:

        > Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 19:26:34 -0000
        > From: "mahtezcatpoc" <mahtezcatpoc@...>
        > Subject: Re: Seginus
        >
        > --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Diana K.
        > Rosenberg"
        > <ye-stars@i...> wrote:
        > >
        > > >Pallas
        > >
        > > >Ceginus (Phi Bootis, marking [I think] the hand
        > of
        > > >Bootes the Herdsman that's holding the leashes of
        > > >Canes Venatici the Hunting Dogs,
        > >
        > > Pallas IS aligned with Phi Bootes, but that's not
        > Ceginus (I
        > > use Seginus). It's a 5th mag star near the top of
        > his staff
        > >
        > > Ceginus (I use Seginus) is Gamma Bootes (17 Libra
        > 44 now);
        > > it is at the Herdsman's left shoulder, acc. to
        > Ptolemy.
        > >
        > > Love, Diana
        >
        > Mark wrote:
        >
        > >Yeah, Seginus, with an S, is Gamma Bootis. My copy
        > of SolarFire had
        > >Phi Bootis as Ceginus, with a C. No spelling error
        > there, just two
        > >stars with almost identical names.
        >
        > That's a Solar Fire star-list error (there are lots
        > of them,
        > unfortunately). For Ceginus/Seginus, see Allen, pp
        > 95 and
        > 103.

        And they're probably pronounced the same, too, the
        better to add to the confusion, right?

        > Another authority, Jobes' "Outer Space" has:
        > "Seginus, Gamma
        > Bootis: from Kheturus, Arabic orthography from the
        > Greek
        > Arcturus, Alpha Bootis. Also written Ceginus,
        > Chegninus,
        > Cheguius.
        >
        > Under Cepheus, Jobes has: "Medieval Latin
        > derivatives:
        > Caicans, Ceginus, Ceichius, Chegninus, Chegnius,
        > Cheguinus,
        > Chiphus, some of which also are attached to Bootes"
        >
        > As I said, this is a Solar Fire error, and I'd hate
        > to see
        > it carried forward - star names are confusing enough
        > as it
        > is!
        >
        > Very few stars as dim as Phi Bootis are named.

        I'll correct it as soon as I can.

        Thanks.

        Mark A. Holmes