Seginus

  • Diana K. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2005
      Hi Mark,

      As always, thank you for the current alignments!

      You wrote:

      >Pallas

      >Ceginus (Phi Bootis, marking [I think] the hand of
      >Bootes the Herdsman that's holding the leashes of
      >Canes Venatici the Hunting Dogs,

      Pallas IS aligned with Phi Bootes, but that's not Ceginus (I
      use Seginus). It's a 5th mag star near the top of his staff

      Ceginus (I use Seginus) is Gamma Bootes (17 Libra 44 now);
      it is at the Herdsman's left shoulder, acc. to Ptolemy.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2005
        --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Diana K. Rosenberg"
        <ye-stars@i...> wrote:
        > Hi Mark,
        >
        > As always, thank you for the current alignments!
        >
        > You wrote:
        >
        > >Pallas
        >
        > >Ceginus (Phi Bootis, marking [I think] the hand of
        > >Bootes the Herdsman that's holding the leashes of
        > >Canes Venatici the Hunting Dogs,
        >
        > Pallas IS aligned with Phi Bootes, but that's not Ceginus (I
        > use Seginus). It's a 5th mag star near the top of his staff
        >
        > Ceginus (I use Seginus) is Gamma Bootes (17 Libra 44 now);
        > it is at the Herdsman's left shoulder, acc. to Ptolemy.
        >
        > Love, Diana

        Yeah, Seginus, with an S, is Gamma Bootis. My copy of SolarFire had
        Phi Bootis as Ceginus, with a C. No spelling error there, just two
        stars with almost identical names.