Fixed star alignments (September 21, 2005; was September 18)

    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 21, 2005
      <mahtezcatpoc@y...> wrote:

      Last time I checked (this afternoon), all these stellar alignments
      that I listed for the 18th were still in force (orb <= 1 00'), so
      I'm listing them again, with additional alignments now in effect.

      > (at 32N09/94W20)

      Anne Wright's web site is down right now.

      > Jupiter
      >
      > Foramen (Eta Carinae)

      ("It causes peril, dignity, piety, usefulness and acquisitiveness,
      and gives danger to the eyes."--Robson)

      > Heze (Zeta Virginis)

      (I think this is in Virgo the Virgin's left thigh.

      Where a police officer's nightstick would normally be found is
      against the left thigh [if he or she is right-handed]).

      > Robur (Upsilon Carinae, marking the obsolete constellation Robur
      > Carolinum [Charles' Oak], which represents an oak tree in whose
      > branches King Charles II of England reportedly hid from Oliver
      > Cromwell's soldiers before he made good his escape from England
      > following the overthrow and execution of his father Charles I)

      (Robur Carolinum: "It is said to give a frank, honorable, generous,
      hospitable and steady nature."--Robson)

      > Saturn
      >
      > Asellus Australis (Delta Cancri)

      ("Called Mare Ass, A Resting Place, and the Ending or Stop."--Robson)

      > Asellus Borealis (Gamma Cancri)

      ("It gives patience, beneficence, courage, and makes its natives
      heroic and defiant leaders."--Robson)

      > Praesepe (M-44 Cancri)

      ("It...causes disease, disgrace, adventure, insolence, wantonness,
      brutality, blindness, industry, order and fecundity; and makes its
      natives fortunate though liable to loss through others..."--Robson)

      > Uranus
      >
      > Skat (Delta Aquarii)
      >

      > Neptune
      >
      > Alnair (Alpha Gruis)

      > Saturn Nebula (NGC 7009 Aquarii)
      >

      > Pluto
      >
      > Rasalhague (Alpha Ophiuchi)

      ("Gives...perverted tastes and mental depravity."--Robson)

      > Atria (Alpha Trianguli Australe)

      (there's been a lot of talk about how best to salvage New Orleans
      and the "right" way to deal with the threat of natural disasters
      lately; Vladimir Yushchenko is also having to deal with criticism of
      the way he's chosen to govern Ukraine lately, and Afghanistan just
      held its first parliamentary election in many years)

      Ceres

      Toliman (Alpha Centauri)

      ("beneficence, friends, refinement, honor."--Robson.

      Rigor says this star gives a fatalistic attitude.)

      Alpha Chamaeleontis

      (located in Chamaeleon the Chameleon's tail)

      (trying to adapt oneself to the environment?)

      Pallas

      Miaplacidus (Beta Carinae)

      (Looks like it's located in the hold of the Ship Argo, or possibly
      in the forecastle [the crew's quarters].

      http://www.mallorcaweb.net/masm/Car1.htm

      means "placid waters," according to some.

      http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/constellations/hr/3685.html

      http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/sow/miaplacidus.html

      Many may be wishing for "calm waters" right now.)

      > Juno
      >
      > Cursa (Beta Eridani)

      (at the end of the River Eridanus opposite Achernar, that is, the
      source of the river)

      [getting to "the source" or "the bottom" of something? like exactly
      how the response to Hurricane Katrina was messed up?]

      Hasseleh (Iota Aurigae)

      (I think this is in Auriga the Charioteer's left foot.

      I don't know if this has any relevance, but there was once an Irish
      writer named Christy Brown [a man] who had severe cerebral palsy and
      published a book called *My Left Foot*, which was the part of his
      body he used to write it, the only part of his body he was able to
      control. It was made into a movie starring Daniel Day-Lewis as Brown.

      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097937/

      Brown used his left foot to paint as well as write and was
      reportedly quite brilliant; not bad for a guy who couldn't talk and
      was thought retarded until he was ten.

      Hassaleh: Someone hobbled making maximum use of their meager
      available resources?)

      IC 2118 Eridani (the Witch Head Nebula, a diffuse nebula located
      near Cursa--closer to Psi Eridani, actually)

      (in pop culture and legend, witches can either utter curses or
      positive spells; in real life, to work effective magic[k] requires
      skill and planning.

      The politics of how to deal with natural disasters dominates the
      news here in the US, and in Germany, Gerhard Schroeder is having to
      try and put together a governing coalition to keep his job as
      chancellor.)

      Vesta

      Sirius (Alpha Canis Majoris)

      "It gives honor, renown, wealth, ardor, faithfulness, devotion,
      passion and resentment, and makes its natives custodians, curators
      and guardians. It also gives danger of dog bites..."--Robson.

      To borrow concepts from Bernadette: Great deeds; getting burned.)

      Dziban (Psi Draconis)

      (a double star in the Dragon's body [on the Dragon's back].

      Not sure what this means in the context. Riding the dragon, maybe?)

      > North Node
      >
      > Alpheratz (Alpha Andromedae)

      ("freedom, love of movement...new ideas, or headstrong stubborness."
      --*Brady's Book of Fixed Stars*, pp.51, 53)

      > Alderamin (Alpha Cephei)

      ("The greatest benefits and success will come by gentle
      determination rather than dramatic action."--*Brady's Book of Fixed
      Stars,* p. 104)

      > South Node
      >
      > Algorab (Delta Corvi)
      >
      > Tso-Hia (Eta Corvi)

      (at the tail of Corvus the Crow)

      (News of substandard living conditions in hurricane shelters along
      the Gulf Coast of the US has given way to concern about sex
      offenders and other criminals among the refugees from New Orleans;
      also, in Europe a child pornography ring has been busted.)

      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 21, 2005