Sigma Librae

  • Diana K. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 19 12:39 PM
      Mark wrote:

      >Anne Wright.

      http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/ZubenHakrabi.html

      >She calls Gamma Librae Zuben Elakrab.

      Which is incorrect. She gives Robson and Allen as her
      references, but Robson does not list Gamma Librae and Allen
      (p 277) has Gamma as (specifically) unnamed.

      Wright also lists Bullinger as a reference - he was
      completely "off the wall" where star names and identities
      are concerned, and had a religious agenda all his own.

      http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/ZubenElakrab.html

      http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/Libra.html

      >but there's another name for it: Zubenalgubi.

      Allen page 275 and 277 states flatly that
      Zubenelgubi/Zubenalgubi is wrong, and "merely a degenerate
      form of the name for Alpha"

      http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/L/Lib.html

      >The Alcyone.de star database also has it as Brachium and Cornu, and
      >SolarFire 5 places it at 20 Scorpio 46.

      Assume "it" is Sigma Librae? I have it at 20 Scorpio 41
      (2000)
      (Sky Catalogue 2000: RA 15 04 04.1, Decl -25 16 55 =

      20 Scorpio 41 13, Lat 7 S 38 40.

      Those 2 names come from p 368 Allen; both (according to him)
      are spurious; nonetheless I would prefer either to
      Zubenalgubi which will just cause confusion with
      Zubelgenubi.

      >I've entered Sigma Librae in my SF5 star menus as Zubenalgubi using
      >the Alcyone data (epoch 2000).

      Why?

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 19 1:23 PM
        --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
        wrote:

        > Mark wrote:
        >
        > >Anne Wright.
        >
        > http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/ZubenHakrabi.html
        >
        > >She calls Gamma Librae Zuben Elakrab.
        >
        > Which is incorrect. She gives Robson and Allen as
        > her
        > references, but Robson does not list Gamma Librae

        No, he doesn't.

        > and Allen
        > (p 277) has Gamma as (specifically) unnamed.

        I don't have the Allen book, so I'll take your word
        for it.

        > Wright also lists Bullinger as a reference - he was
        > completely "off the wall" where star names and
        > identities
        > are concerned, and had a religious agenda all his
        > own.

        I'd like to know more about that.

        > http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/ZubenElakrab.html
        >
        > >Sigma Librae isn't anything on her list,
        >
        > http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/Libra.html
        >
        > >but there's another name for it: Zubenalgubi.
        >
        > Allen page 275 and 277 states flatly that
        > Zubenelgubi/Zubenalgubi is wrong, and "merely a
        > degenerate
        > form of the name for Alpha"
        >
        > http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/L/Lib.html
        >
        > >The Alcyone.de star database also has it as
        > Brachium and Cornu, and
        > >SolarFire 5 places it at 20 Scorpio 46.
        >
        > Assume "it" is Sigma Librae?

        Correct.

        I have it at 20 Scorpio
        > 41
        > (2000)
        > (Sky Catalogue 2000: RA 15 04 04.1, Decl -25 16 55 =
        >
        > 20 Scorpio 41 13, Lat 7 S 38 40.
        >
        > Those 2 names come from p 368 Allen; both (according
        > to him)
        > are spurious; nonetheless I would prefer either to
        > Zubenalgubi which will just cause confusion with
        > Zubelgenubi.
        >
        > >I've entered Sigma Librae in my SF5 star menus as
        > Zubenalgubi using
        > >the Alcyone data (epoch 2000).
        >
        > Why?

        I see your point about the naming. (What a mess.)

        Brachium does sound better to me than Zubenalgubi.

        Yahoo! for Good