Re: Zubenalhakrabi

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2005
      <mahtezcatpoc@y...> wrote:

      > --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@i...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > DKR wrote:
      > >
      > > > You also have:

      > > > This is a little earlier - (20 Sco 46 now)
      > >
      > > Mark wrote:
      > >
      > > >I've got 18 Scorpio 47.
      > >
      > > OK, I see what the problem is.
      > >
      > > I was going only by the name - Zubenalhakrabi, which
      > > Allen
      > > has under ETA Librae but says
      > >
      > > "Burritt called it Zubenhakrabi, a title properly
      > > belonging
      > > to Gamma Scorpii"
      > >
      > > When you go to Allen's listing for Gamma Scorpii, he
      > > writes:
      > >
      > > [Gamma] lies, in Bayer's map, on the tip of the
      > > southern
      > > claw, and is the same star as Flamsteed's 20
      > > Librae...(more
      > > discussion of star maps)...indeed for at least 300
      > > years
      > > there has been disagreement among astronomers as to
      > > this
      > > star...Gould writes: since it appears out of the
      > > question
      > > that it should ever again be regarded as belonging
      > > Scorpius, I have ventured to designate it by the
      > > letter
      > > sigma (Librae)...
      > >
      > > He goes on to give various versions and spellings of
      > > the
      > > Arab designation (for Gamma Scorpii), among them
      > > Zuben
      > > Hakrabi.
      > >
      > > So Nu Librae is unnamed, and the name Zubenhakrabi
      > > (acc to
      > > Jobes, from Zuben Al Akrab, the Claw of the
      > > Scorpion)
      > > belongs to Sigma (20) Librae/Gamma Scorpii; the name
      > > would
      > > fit the latter, but since there is no Gamma Scorpii
      > > listed
      > > in current star catalogues, the name devolves onto
      > > Sigma
      > > Librae.
      > >
      > > Here's how I have it listed:
      > >
      > > Zubenhakrabi Sigma (20) Librae S Scale 20SC41 - 7
      > > 39 -25 12 15 04 3.29 M4 III
      > > (Gamma Scorpii); this star's constellation is
      > > disputed; in
      > > Akkad it was Entena-mas-luv, tail-tip of Hydra
      > >
      > > So in answering your e-mail, I looked at the name
      > > (which
      > > belongs, if anywhere, to Sigma Librae), rather
      > > than the full designation (Nu Librae)
      >

      > Somebody was referring to Nu Librae by that name.

      Anne Wright.

      http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/ZubenHakrabi.html

      She calls Gamma Librae Zuben Elakrab.

      http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/ZubenElakrab.html

      Sigma Librae isn't anything on her list,

      http://www.winshop.com.au/annew/Libra.html

      but there's another name for it: Zubenalgubi.

      http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/L/Lib.html

      The Alcyone.de star database also has it as Brachium and Cornu, and
      SolarFire 5 places it at 20 Scorpio 46.

      I've entered Sigma Librae in my SF5 star menus as Zubenalgubi using
      the Alcyone data (epoch 2000).