Re: [thefixedstars] Re: Zenith cf. MC

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2005
      --- Heather <HeatherCam@...> wrote:

      > Knowing that the Fixed Stars are said to be on the
      > Zenith as a
      > position of importance in the sky;
      > does anyone know the precise difference between the
      > Zenith (straight
      > up above) as compared with the Mid Heaven?
      >
      > Heather

      Here you are.--

      http://www.astrologyweekly.com/dictionary/midheaven.php

      Midheaven - Astrology Encyclopedia

      Definition of Midheaven Variously called Medium Coeli
      (M.C.), Southern angle, South point, and cusp of the
      Tenth House. Also improperly called the Zenith. (v.
      Celestial Sphere.) More precisely, it is applicable to
      the South point of the Map, and what it indicates is
      dependent on the manner of interpretation employed.
      Sometimes loosely applied to the whole of the Tenth
      House.

      (Nicholas deVore - Encyclopedia of Astrology)

      _________

      (Is that the North Point south of the equator?--MAH)

      _________

      http://www.astrologyweekly.com/dictionary/zenith.php

      Zenith - Astrology Encyclopedia

      Definition of Zenith Mathematically, the Pole of the
      Horizon. The point directly overhead, through which
      pass the Prime Vertical (q.v.) and Meridian circles.
      Every place has its own zenith, and the nearer a
      planet is to that zenith, the more powerful is its
      influence.. The term is sometimes loosely applied to
      the cusp of the Tenth House, which strictly speaking
      is only the point of the zodiac or ecliptic through
      which the meridian circle passes. v. Celestial Sphere.

      (Nicholas deVore - Encyclopedia of Astrology)

      ________

    • Heather
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2005
        Thanks Mark.
        Am curious about all this as am interested in the Vertex, since it
        works so well for me.

        The line drawn between Zenith and Nadir would be in the direction of
        the gravitational pull, like hanging a pendulum.
        The gravitational direction seems important as a stabilizing effect.
        My first charts drawn by hand were using an equal house system, with
        the MC sitting in the 9th house. Some say these are known as the
        Zenith house system, but always thought they were equal house system.

        Noticed that software Kepler takes into account the zenith, like shows
        what fixed star is on it. Also sidereal charts can be set up as Prime
        Vertical charts, so that planets close to the horizon are seen there
        in reality, where as with normal charts they could by under the
        horizon. Then there are Campanus Mundoscopes etc.

        Also financial astrology will chart a company with sun at the zenith
        for the first day of trade.

        Heather