Re: Zenith cf. MC

  • Heather
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2005
      Knowing that the Fixed Stars are said to be on the Zenith as a
      position of importance in the sky;
      does anyone know the precise difference between the Zenith (straight
      up above) as compared with the Mid Heaven?

      Heather
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2005
        --- Heather <HeatherCam@...> wrote:

        > Knowing that the Fixed Stars are said to be on the
        > Zenith as a
        > position of importance in the sky;
        > does anyone know the precise difference between the
        > Zenith (straight
        > up above) as compared with the Mid Heaven?
        >
        > Heather

        Here you are.--

        http://www.astrologyweekly.com/dictionary/midheaven.php

        Midheaven - Astrology Encyclopedia

        Definition of Midheaven Variously called Medium Coeli
        (M.C.), Southern angle, South point, and cusp of the
        Tenth House. Also improperly called the Zenith. (v.
        Celestial Sphere.) More precisely, it is applicable to
        the South point of the Map, and what it indicates is
        dependent on the manner of interpretation employed.
        Sometimes loosely applied to the whole of the Tenth
        House.

        (Nicholas deVore - Encyclopedia of Astrology)

        _________

        (Is that the North Point south of the equator?--MAH)

        _________

        http://www.astrologyweekly.com/dictionary/zenith.php

        Zenith - Astrology Encyclopedia

        Definition of Zenith Mathematically, the Pole of the
        Horizon. The point directly overhead, through which
        pass the Prime Vertical (q.v.) and Meridian circles.
        Every place has its own zenith, and the nearer a
        planet is to that zenith, the more powerful is its
        influence.. The term is sometimes loosely applied to
        the cusp of the Tenth House, which strictly speaking
        is only the point of the zodiac or ecliptic through
        which the meridian circle passes. v. Celestial Sphere.

        (Nicholas deVore - Encyclopedia of Astrology)

        ________

      • Heather
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2005
          Thanks Mark.
          Am curious about all this as am interested in the Vertex, since it
          works so well for me.

          The line drawn between Zenith and Nadir would be in the direction of
          the gravitational pull, like hanging a pendulum.
          The gravitational direction seems important as a stabilizing effect.
          My first charts drawn by hand were using an equal house system, with
          the MC sitting in the 9th house. Some say these are known as the
          Zenith house system, but always thought they were equal house system.

          Noticed that software Kepler takes into account the zenith, like shows
          what fixed star is on it. Also sidereal charts can be set up as Prime
          Vertical charts, so that planets close to the horizon are seen there
          in reality, where as with normal charts they could by under the
          horizon. Then there are Campanus Mundoscopes etc.

          Also financial astrology will chart a company with sun at the zenith
          for the first day of trade.

          Heather