Re: [thefixedstars] Fixed star alignments (September 22, 2013)

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 23, 2013

      [Sirius with Jupiter] "Business success, journeys, help from relatives, ecclesiastical preferment." (Vivian Robson)

      We had allies in our war in Afghanistan [less so Iraq, mostly Britain and Australia]. 9-11 certainly was a boost to evangelical Christians and well-connected corporations such as Halliburton that provided services to the troops through no-bid contracts, also smaller businesses seeking to do business in Iraq, but no, our interventions in Afghanistan and Iraq weren't positive in many ways.

      Maybe the Saturn alignment with Sirius will be more positive (again from Robson):

      [Sirius with Saturn] "Steady, reserved, diplomatic, just, persevering, high position through friends, favorable for home, gifts and legacies, domestic harmony."

      Mark A. Holmes

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 23, 2013

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Days

        The Romans referred to the dog days as diēs caniculārēs and associated the hot weather with the star Sirius. They considered Sirius to be the "Dog Star" because it is the brightest star in the constellation Canis Major  (Large Dog). Sirius is also the brightest star in the night sky. The term "Dog Days" was used earlier by the Greeks (see, e.g., Aristotle's Physics).

        The Dog Days originally were the days when Sirius rose just before or at the same time as sunrise (heliacal rising), which is no longer true, owing to precession of the equinoxes. The Romans sacrificed a red dog in April to appease the rage of Sirius, believing that the star was the cause of the hot, sultry weather.

        The Dog Days were popularly believed to be an evil time. "The Sea boiled, the Wine turned sour, Dogs grew mad, and all other creatures became languid; causing to man, among other diseases, burning fevers, hysterics, and phrensies." according to Brady’s Clavis Calendaria (1813).

        So, is Sirius linked to "mad dog" behavior (feverish aggression, hysteria, frenzy)? We were kind of acting that way after 9-11.

        Mark A. Holmes

        • Gabriella Mittelman
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 23, 2013

            Sorry, Saturn will trine it – my mistake!