Fixed star alignments (March 24, 2013)

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 24, 2013
      As of midnight GMT. Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today (with a
      1 00' orb).

      Jupiter

      *Batenateban Australis (Phi Draconis)

      *Tsi Choui Persei (Lambda Persei)

      Aldebaran (Alpha Tauri)

      Thyone (Rho Tauri; in the Hyades)

      *Parilicium (Sigma-2 Tauri; in the Hyades)

      *Thyene  (90 Tauri; in the Hyades)

      Saturn

      *QU Carinae (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

      Kabkent Secunda (Nu Centauri)

      Omega Centauri (NGC 5139 Centauri; bright globular cluster)

      Noctua (50 Hydrae; marks the obsolete constellation Noctua the Night-Owl)

      Jikiketsu (Lambda Muscae)

      *Hoag's Object (PGC 54559 Serpentis, a ring galaxy in Serpens Caput discovered in 1950 by Jim Hoag)
      (PGC: Principal Galaxies Catalogue)

      Rijl al Awwa (Mu Virginis)

      Passer (Gamma-2 Volantis)

      Uranus

      Horoscopium (Iota Horoscopii; has planets)

      Lucida Lacertae (Alpha Lacertae; the brightest star in Lacerta)

      *Lacerta Lingua (Beta Lacertae; marks Lacerta the Lizard's tongue)

      Lucida Reticuli (Alpha Reticuli; the brightest star in Reticulum, the Net or Reticule)

      Neptune

      Sadalmelek (Alpha Aquarii)

      Ancha (Theta Aquarii)

      FO Aquarii (cataclysmic variable)

      Egg Nebula (CRL 2688 Cygni)
      (CRL = Cambridge Research Laboratory (Infrared Survey) catalog)

      Seagull Nebula (NGC 2032 Doradus; open cluster with nebulosity)

      KL Draconis (cataclysmic variable)

      Fomalhaut (Alpha Piscis Austrini)

      Pluto

      HD 181433 (Pavonis; has planets)

      Ross 154 (V1216 Sagittarii; nearby star)

      Delta Scuti (variable star)

      *Branchett's Object (NSV 24587 Scuti, a variable star discovered by David Branchett)

      Eris

      Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)

      Kui (Zeta Andromedae)

      Tien-Ke (Theta Andromedae)

      VV Cephei (cataclysmic variable)

      Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 24, 2013
        I gave the proper name Jikiketsu, which is Japanese for "drinking blood" to Lambda Muscae, a faint star which I think is in the head of Musca the Fly. Another star close by, Mu Muscae, I gave another Japanese name, Jikininki ("ghosts that eat people").

        The "bloodthirsty" (literally and figuratively) seem to have been quite active lately.

        Mark A. Holmes

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 10, 2013
          --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "mahtezcatpoc" <mahtezcatpoc@...> wrote:

          > I gave the proper name Jikiketsu, which is Japanese for "drinking blood" to Lambda Muscae, a faint star which I think is in the head of Musca the Fly. Another star close by, Mu Muscae, I gave another Japanese name, Jikininki ("ghosts that eat people").
          >
          > The "bloodthirsty" (literally and figuratively) seem to have been quite active lately.

          For example, while the alignments of these stars with Saturn have been in force, from about the middle of January to late March, the gun nuts and their allies have been stoking fears and paranoia post-Newtown about gun regulation and school shootings, so now you can bring guns into more places than ever before and sensible gun regulation has become less likely.

          Mark A. Holmes

          > --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Mark Andrew Holmes <mahtezcatpoc@> wrote:
          > >
          > > As of midnight GMT. Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't
          > > there a week ago today (with a
          > > 1 00'
          > > orb).
          > >

          > > Saturn
          >

          > > Jikiketsu (Lambda Muscae)

        • Shawhouse
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 10, 2013
            When is their impact going to diminish?
            Diana

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 10, 2013
              The alignments are over (orb 1 00'). Hopefully, we'll get background checks for gun buyers passed (it's only reasonable, wouldn't you agree?) I don't know about an assault weapon ban now. Members of Congress from conservative areas seem to be running scared of the NRA, which is enthusiastically invoking boogeymen ("jikininki"?) to terrorize them.

              Mark A. Holmes