Fixed star alignments (March 17, 2013)

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 20 8:20 PM
      As of midnight GMT. Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today (with a
      1 00' orb).

      Jupiter

      Pseudocyesis (Gamma-1 Caeli)

      *Aldebaran (Alpha Tauri)

      Ain (Epsilon Tauri; in the Hyades)

      Dione (Kappa-1 Tauri; in the Hyades)

      *Thyone (Rho Tauri; in the Hyades)

      Hyas (Upsilon Tauri; in the Hyades)

      Dodonida (Phi Tauri)

      Nysida (Chi Tauri)

      Prodice (79 Tauri; in the Hyades)

      Eudora (83 Tauri; in the Hyades)

      UX Tauri

      Saturn

      Kabkent Prima (Mu Centauri)

      Kabkent Secunda (Nu Centauri)

      Mimosa (Beta Crucis)

      *Omega Centauri (NGC 5139 Centauri; bright globular cluster)

      Noctua (50 Hydrae; marks the obsolete constellation Noctua the Night-Owl)

      Jikiketsu (Lambda Muscae)

      Jikininki (Mu Muscae)

      Rijl al Awwa (Mu Virginis)

      *Passer (Gamma-2 Volantis)

      Uranus

      Elephant's Trunk Nebula (IC 1396 Cephei)

      *Horoscopium (Iota Horoscopii; has planets)

      Lucida Lacertae (Alpha Lacertae)

      Pegasus 2 Cluster (NGC 7720, et al Pegasi; galaxy cluster inside the Great Square of Pegasus)

      Lucida Reticuli (Alpha Reticuli)

      Neptune

      Sadalmelek (Alpha Aquarii)

      Ancha (Theta Aquarii)

      FO Aquarii (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

      Egg Nebula (CRL 2688 Cygni)
      (CRL = Cambridge Research Laboratory (Infrared Survey) catalog)

      *Seagull Nebula (NGC 2032 Doradus; open cluster with nebulosity)

      KL Draconis (cataclysmic variable)

      Al Lat (Phi Gruis)

      Fomalhaut (Alpha Piscis Austrini)

      Lacaille 9352 (HD 217987.Piscis Austrini; nearby star)

      NGC 7052 (Vulpeculae; elliptical galaxy)

      Pluto

      Alathfar (Mu Lyrae)

      HD 181433 (Pavonis; has planets)

      Ross 154 (V1216 Sagittarii; nearby star)

      Delta Scuti (variable star)

      Eris

      Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)

      Kui (Zeta Andromedae)

      Tien-Ke (Theta Andromedae)

      VV Cephei (cataclysmic variable)

      Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 24 9:57 AM
        I gave this proper name to Gamma-1 Caeli, a faint star in Caelum the Sculptor's Tools, which apparently marks the circular handle end of a fine chisel. The name Pseudocyesis is Greek for "false pregnancy."

        Jupiter has been aligned with Pseudocyesis for some time now.

        A lot of us are disappointed that what seemed like a tipping point in the US gun debate--the Newtown massacre--has not yielded meaningful gun control legislation.

        Mark A. Holmes