Today is Martin Luther King Day in the US.

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013
      "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."--Martin Luther King, Jr.,"Letter From A Birmingham Jail"

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2015
        "The war in Vietnam is but a symptom of a far deeper malady within the American spirit, and if we ignore this sobering reality, and if we ignore this sobering reality, we will find ourselves organizing 'clergy and laymen concerned'  committees for the next generation. They will be concerned about Guatemala and Peru. They will be concerned about Thailand and Cambodia. They will be concerned about Mozambique and South Africa. We will be marching for these and a dozen other names and attending rallies without end unless there is a significant and profound change in American life and policy...

        "True compassion is more than flinging a coin to a beggar. It comes to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring."--Martin Luther King, Jr. (from a speech given at Riverside Church in New York, April 4, 1967)

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 18, 2016
          "[John F. Kennedy said, 'Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.'  Increasingly, by choice or by accident, this is the role our nation has taken, the role of those who make peaceful revolution impossible by refusing to give up the privileges and the pleasures that come from the immense profits of overseas investments. I am convinced that if we are to get on the right side of the world revolution, we as a nation must undergo a radical revolution of values. We must rapidly begin--we must rapidly begin the shift from a thing-oriented society to a person-oriented society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights, are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, extreme materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.

          "A true revolution of values will soon cause us to question the fairness and justice of many of our past and present policies. On the one hand we are called to play the Good Samaritan on life's roadside, but that will be only an initial act. One day we must come to see that the whole Jericho Road must be transformed so that men and women will not be constantly beaten and robbed as they make their journey on life's highway. True compassion is more than flinging a coin to a beggar. It comes to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring."

          --Martin Luther King, Jr. , "Beyond Vietnam: A Time To Break Silence" (address at Riverside Church, New York, April 4, 1967)