Re: [thefixedstars] Stargazing in light pollution

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 23, 2005
      Some places have "dark skies" ordinances designed to
      minimize light pollution. Astronomers, both
      professional and amateur, who find light pollution a
      problem found out that it's easier to get
      municipalities and other lawmaking jurisdictions to
      listen to them when they talk about wasted wattage,
      bloated electric bills, and efficient (and
      dark-sky-friendly) lighting being better for nighttime
      driving and for security than when they complain about
      the stars being blotted out by light pollution.

      I'm out in the country some distance from the nearest
      city, so the skies are fairly dark here. Somebody gave
      me a used telescope recently; I haven't had the time
      to see how well it does with stargazing yet. Some time
      I'll check that out.

      Mark A. Holmes

      --- Shawhouse <shawhouse@...> wrote:

      > I'll add to my previous comment, that unless one has
      > had the opportunity
      > to be out on the ocean under clear skies or far, far
      > away from an urban
      > area one doesn't know what the sky looks like. I
      > recall camping about
      > 20 years ago under clear skies and being amazed at
      > the density of
      > "stars." I live in a suburb that has grown, and the
      > sky has become less
      > and less amazing. I can see the Big Dipper, but
      > that's about all!
      > Diana
      >
      > Eriugena wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Trish Marie,
      > >
      > > I usually drive away from the city I live in. I go
      > 20 miles north.
      > >
      > > I live in the middle of about 1 million people.
      > There are three cities
      > > here in NC collectively known as the Triad. This
      > is not to be confused
      > > with the better known Triangle to our east by
      > about 60 miles.
      > >
      > > --Dave

      > email to:

      > Yahoo! Terms of