Solar eclipse of May 20, 2012--stellar alignments

    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2012
      From SolarFire:

      "Solar Annular Eclipse (NM)
      May 20 2012 11:47 pm (UT)
      Position: 00°Ge20'
      Saros No (van den Bergh): 128
      Saros No (Jansky/Brady): 14 South
      Gamma: 0.483
      Magnitude: 0.944
      Duration Total (mins): 5.77"

      Sabian symbol for 0 Gemini: "A glass-bottomed boat in still water."
      Sepharial symbol for 0 Gemini: "Two yellow flowers growing beneath the shade of a luxuriant tree."

      ---

      Stellar alignments

      Soul Nebula (Sharpless 2-199 Cassiopeiae)

      Dwingeloo 1 (Cassiopeiae)
      Dwingeloo 2 (Cassiopeiae; spiral galaxies hidden behind the Milky Way)

      Alrai (Gamma Cephei)

      (Arabic for "the shepherd")

      Alkalbalrai (Rho Cephei)

      (Arabic for "the shepherd's heart)

      Enceinte (Beta Caeli)

      (my coinage; French for "pregnant")

      Caelatum (Nu Caeli)

      (my coinage; Greek for "engraved")

      Beid (Omicron-1 Eridani)

      (Arabic for "the egg")

      Keid (Omicron-2 Eridani--Spock of Vulcan's home star system, according to some "Star Trek" sources)

      (Arabic for "the eggshells")

      Theemin (Upsilon-2 Eridani)

      (Arabic for "the ostrich" or "the water")

      IM Eridani (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

      Al Fakhir (Gamma Persei)

      (Arabic for "the sumptuous")

      Alcyone (Eta Tauri)--brightest star in the Pleiades
      The Pleiades

      Al Thaur (Lambda Tauri)

      (Arabic for "the bull")

      Furibundus (Nu Tauri)