Re: Ptolemy: geographic rulerships (sidereal signs)

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2011
      --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Diana K Rosenberg" <fixed.stars@...> wrote:

      > Mark sent: Venus aligned with Zubenalgenubi right now - (should be
      > Zubenelgenubi),

      Sorry.

      which is alpha Librae in the Scales.

      > Thank you, Mark.
      >
      > Venus transiting the Libra Scales:
      > According to Ptolemy, the areas governed by the Libra Scales and Venus are
      > Bactriana, Casperia, Serica, Thebais, Oasis and Troglodytica. Bactriana
      > (Bactria) is now NW Afghanistan, S Turkmenistan and S Uzbekistan (about
      > 35-38N, 65E): Ptolemy's Oasis was the E Libyan Desert, "7 days journey from
      > Thebes;" the 1951 chart for Libyan independence has Venus in the Scales; at
      > the the 1969 proclamation of a republic, Neptune did the honors (it should
      > be noted that both charts also have stelliums in tropical Libra; at the 2011
      > downfall of dictator Muammar Qaddafi, Venus was at Zubenelgenubi, Alpha
      > Librae.
      >
      > Uranus transiting Omega Piscium of the Pisces Fishes:
      > Ptolemy also held that in Africa the Fishes ruled Phazania (modern Fezzan in
      > southwestern Libya, south of Tripolitania), Nasamonitis, now the area of the
      > Gulf of Sidra and city of Agheila in northeast Libya, and Garamantica, in
      > the south-central Libyan desert: Libya's independence was gained in 1951
      > with Jupiter in the Fishes, and was proclaimed a republic in 1969 with the
      > NNode there. At the 2011 downfall of dictator Muammar Qaddafi, Uranus was at
      > Omega Piscium.

      I think Omega Piscium has a proper name: Vernalis...which is Latin for "having to do with springtime." I think that's because it's close to the vernal equinox point (0 Aries). (I don't believe I coined that name; sometime I need to get all the star names I coined listed and posted.)

      Funny that the recent uprisings against dictators in the Middle East and North Africa just happen to be known collectively as the Arab Spring...

      Mark A. Holmes
    • okku
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 23, 2011
        Hi Diana and Mark

        Mine amateur exercise:

        Gadhafi's Mar/Ven midpoint on the his Sun with Hunter's star Rigel. Mars/Procyon,Venüs/Hamal.Two fixed stars have Mars nature.

        Hamal:''According to another account it was the ram that guided Bacchus to a spring of water in the Libyan desert.'' [Robson, p.31.]

        Procyon :According Mesopotamians as ''The Star of the Crossing of the Water - Dog' Gadhafi was hunted in drainage pipes.

        With Mars: ''Cruelty, violence, scandal and slander, disgrace and ruin, danger of dog bites.'' [Robson)
        Ronald Reagan labelled Gaddafi "the mad dog of the Middle East".

        Best
        Okku