Re: [thefixedstars] Re: weather,...

  • Martina
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
      Hi Mark- (going backwards through posts here,..)

      > Most of the work is around my house, though every week I do have to
      > mow the yard at my job. My lawn mower is broken (as usual) and I've
      > having to mow my (big) yard with a rickety old push mower. There's
      > fast-growing, thick bahia grass from the cow pasture beyond the back
      > fence in my yard again and as a result, mowing is a full-time job I
      > have to spend at least an hour every day on. As for wildlife, I had to
      > spray a bunch of black widow spiders in one of the bathrooms (inside)
      > at work a few days ago. There were wasps nesting all around my house
      > and I had to spray them, too. One of the nests was in Melissa's run
      > and I had to bring her inside for a couple of days, just in case.
      > (Melissa is my cat, which some of you may already know.)

      I guess theres probably snakes around as well,... trying to stay cool -
      the one thing around here is that at least we don't have the mosquito
      problem we usually have around now,.. and the grass grows that fast??
      Wow!

      > People in Phoenix are used to the summer heat, but even they were
      > complaining about it this summer, and the homeless are dying on the
      > streets there. Two people died of heat prostration in their
      > unairconditioned houses in El Paso during the heat wave; people in the
      > desert Southwest had ways of coping with the heat before the arrival
      > of air conditioning that they've since discarded, and now a lot of
      > buildings without AC there become ovens pretty quickly, and then maybe
      > mausoleums as well. Actually, in Chicago they've declared a heat
      > emergency, too.

      At least thats one thing about Canada, because of the winters,.. most places
      have fairly good insulation. This place didn't because it was an old
      church,.. one of the first things we did,.... and replaced the black roof
      with a light one. (What was that guy thinking?) First summer here was
      insane, we may as well have been in a tin box. And you bet I'm thanking our
      lucky stars we aren't out on the street somewhere! It was getting to the
      point that I was worried about the little animals and the birds around here
      and putting water out for them everywhere.
      Drink lots of water and try and stay cool!

      Martina
    • PeterKecskés
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 4, 2005
        Hello to everyone in the group !
        Does anybody knows a listing or an ephemeris on the
        net of the occultations of the stars by all of the
        planets, besides lunar occultations or some old theory
        on this issue? Thanks in advance, Péter Kecskés

      • Eriugena
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
          Jo regelt!

          Here are some links on occultations and grazings. The window of observation
          for most grazings is quite narrow--just a few miles. I hope they help.

          --Dave

          http://www.lunar-occultations.com/iota/iotandx.htm

          http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/occultations/

          http://harper.cyberwitch.com/occ/default.asp

          http://www.lunar-occultations.com/iota/graze.htm
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
            I think Bernadette has posted ephemerides of
            occultations of Antares and other bright stars near
            the ecliptic by planets (including the Moon). You
            might want to perform a search of the archives to find
            them.

            Mark A. Holmes

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 5, 2005
              I thought this article on fixed stars by Rob Tillett
              might be interesting. It contains a lot of star
              delineations; mixed in among the famous stars like
              Aldebaran, Antares and Sirius are delineations for a
              bunch of not-terribly-famous stars, some of which I've
              mentioned in earlier posts, like Sham, Talitha, and
              Tarazed.

              http://www.astrologycom.com/fixedstars.html

              (In case any of you are thinking that's a typo, the
              URL is correct, as you'll find when you try it.)

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8, 2005
                <mahtezcatpoc@y...> wrote:
                > I thought this article on fixed stars by Rob Tillett
                > might be interesting. It contains a lot of star
                > delineations; mixed in among the famous stars like
                > Aldebaran, Antares and Sirius are delineations for a
                > bunch of not-terribly-famous stars, some of which I've
                > mentioned in earlier posts, like Sham, Talitha, and
                > Tarazed.
                >
                > http://www.astrologycom.com/fixedstars.html

                "Talitha: 'Quiet, prudent, suspicious, mistrustful, self-controlled,
                great anger when aroused."

                George W. Bush's job-approval ratings remain in the doldrums; some
                suspicion of his Supreme Court nominee John Roberts remains; Kofi
                Annan expresses a willingness to work with new US Ambassador to the UN
                John Bolton, appointed over the strong objections of Democrats and
                some Republicans, but cautions that he is only one of 190 UN
                Ambassadors and will have to win a majority over to get anything done.
                Iran has resumed its nuclear program.