Re: [thefixedstars] weather,...

  • Martina
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2 3:38 PM
      Hi Arthyr, thanks, I'll look more into this,.. and assuming the
      angles are different for what part of the country ?
      I thought the lunar cycle had more to do with it as well,...
      Never thought of Jupiter as wet (and warm ,.. bleah,..)
      We are getting weird hot weather thunderstorms up here,
      part of what just ran the Air France plane off the runway in Toronto
      I think,...
      Martina
    • Martina
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2 3:50 PM
        Hi Mark- (going backwards through posts here,..)

        > Most of the work is around my house, though every week I do have to
        > mow the yard at my job. My lawn mower is broken (as usual) and I've
        > having to mow my (big) yard with a rickety old push mower. There's
        > fast-growing, thick bahia grass from the cow pasture beyond the back
        > fence in my yard again and as a result, mowing is a full-time job I
        > have to spend at least an hour every day on. As for wildlife, I had to
        > spray a bunch of black widow spiders in one of the bathrooms (inside)
        > at work a few days ago. There were wasps nesting all around my house
        > and I had to spray them, too. One of the nests was in Melissa's run
        > and I had to bring her inside for a couple of days, just in case.
        > (Melissa is my cat, which some of you may already know.)

        I guess theres probably snakes around as well,... trying to stay cool -
        the one thing around here is that at least we don't have the mosquito
        problem we usually have around now,.. and the grass grows that fast??
        Wow!

        > People in Phoenix are used to the summer heat, but even they were
        > complaining about it this summer, and the homeless are dying on the
        > streets there. Two people died of heat prostration in their
        > unairconditioned houses in El Paso during the heat wave; people in the
        > desert Southwest had ways of coping with the heat before the arrival
        > of air conditioning that they've since discarded, and now a lot of
        > buildings without AC there become ovens pretty quickly, and then maybe
        > mausoleums as well. Actually, in Chicago they've declared a heat
        > emergency, too.

        At least thats one thing about Canada, because of the winters,.. most places
        have fairly good insulation. This place didn't because it was an old
        church,.. one of the first things we did,.... and replaced the black roof
        with a light one. (What was that guy thinking?) First summer here was
        insane, we may as well have been in a tin box. And you bet I'm thanking our
        lucky stars we aren't out on the street somewhere! It was getting to the
        point that I was worried about the little animals and the birds around here
        and putting water out for them everywhere.
        Drink lots of water and try and stay cool!

        Martina
      • PeterKecskés
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 4 3:25 PM
          Hello to everyone in the group !
          Does anybody knows a listing or an ephemeris on the
          net of the occultations of the stars by all of the
          planets, besides lunar occultations or some old theory
          on this issue? Thanks in advance, Péter Kecskés

        • Eriugena
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 5 5:06 AM
            Jo regelt!

            Here are some links on occultations and grazings. The window of observation
            for most grazings is quite narrow--just a few miles. I hope they help.

            --Dave

            http://www.lunar-occultations.com/iota/iotandx.htm

            http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/occultations/

            http://harper.cyberwitch.com/occ/default.asp

            http://www.lunar-occultations.com/iota/graze.htm
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 5 2:57 PM
              I think Bernadette has posted ephemerides of
              occultations of Antares and other bright stars near
              the ecliptic by planets (including the Moon). You
              might want to perform a search of the archives to find
              them.

              Mark A. Holmes

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 5 9:18 PM
                I thought this article on fixed stars by Rob Tillett
                might be interesting. It contains a lot of star
                delineations; mixed in among the famous stars like
                Aldebaran, Antares and Sirius are delineations for a
                bunch of not-terribly-famous stars, some of which I've
                mentioned in earlier posts, like Sham, Talitha, and
                Tarazed.

                http://www.astrologycom.com/fixedstars.html

                (In case any of you are thinking that's a typo, the
                URL is correct, as you'll find when you try it.)

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 8 9:59 PM
                  <mahtezcatpoc@y...> wrote:
                  > I thought this article on fixed stars by Rob Tillett
                  > might be interesting. It contains a lot of star
                  > delineations; mixed in among the famous stars like
                  > Aldebaran, Antares and Sirius are delineations for a
                  > bunch of not-terribly-famous stars, some of which I've
                  > mentioned in earlier posts, like Sham, Talitha, and
                  > Tarazed.
                  >
                  > http://www.astrologycom.com/fixedstars.html

                  "Talitha: 'Quiet, prudent, suspicious, mistrustful, self-controlled,
                  great anger when aroused."

                  George W. Bush's job-approval ratings remain in the doldrums; some
                  suspicion of his Supreme Court nominee John Roberts remains; Kofi
                  Annan expresses a willingness to work with new US Ambassador to the UN
                  John Bolton, appointed over the strong objections of Democrats and
                  some Republicans, but cautions that he is only one of 190 UN
                  Ambassadors and will have to win a majority over to get anything done.
                  Iran has resumed its nuclear program.