Galactic North and South Stars

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2011
      I posted this on the Facebook group:

      "The closest naked-eye stars to [the Galactic North and South Poles] appear to be Kappa-1 Sculptoris and UU Comae Berenices, respectively. Call them Galactopolaris Borealis and Galactopolaris Australis, respectively. Neither is very bright."

      Kappa-1 Sculptoris is magnitude 5.4. UU Comae Berenices is about magnitude 5.8.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_Sculptoris

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stars_in_Coma_Berenices

      Galactopolaris Borealis

      0 Libra 10 (2000)