Jeborics

  • Diana K. Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2 2:43 PM
      Cal, what the ?%#@~&X are jeborics?

      And do I really want to know?

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2 9:27 PM
        --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
        wrote:

        > Cal, what the ?%#@~&X are jeborics?
        >
        > And do I really want to know?
        >
        > Love, Diana

        I know you asked Cal, but let me try to help, since
        I'm the one who started using the term publicly.

        Jeborics is just another word for quasars, pulsars,
        black holes, BL Lacertae objects and other objects
        outside our solar system that are strong emitters of
        radiation on frequencies outside the visible-light
        band--what are also called galactic points. It was Al
        H. Morrison who first came up with the term; he said
        he got it from Dane Rudhyar.

      • Astrocalypse
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3 1:02 AM
          Mark, I am glad you answered this email, otherwise I wouldn't have known that I didn't receive it.  People on other lists are talking about not getting their Yahoo mail. I guess we should watch out on this one !

          Diana, I like the term 'jeborics' revived by Mark.  I think it must have been before you joined the list, Mark did post a link of his webpage on the subject which I found interesting :-

          Jeborics, or Galactic Points: Deep-Sky Radiation Sources

          Cal

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3 1:52 AM
            --- Astrocalypse <astrocalypse@...>
            wrote:

            > Mark, I am glad you answered this email, otherwise I
            > wouldn't have known that I didn't receive it.
            > People on other lists are talking about not getting
            > their Yahoo mail. I guess we should watch out on
            > this one !

            Yeah, I monitor the archives, the membership list, and
            the bounce list on a routine basis. Yahoo has been
            known to accumulate backlogs of e-mail (which it then
            dumps into your inbox in a flood). I have a Monday
            night class this semester which lets out at 11 p.m.; I
            get home after midnight, then go to work on Tuesday
            and catch up on my sleep that evening after I get
            home, so I've been having more e-mails than usual to
            read. This class's last meeting will be next week;
            after that I can get back to a more conventional
            schedule and can start reading my e-mails more quickly
            after they arrive in my inbox.

            > Diana, I like the term 'jeborics' revived by Mark.
            > I think it must have been before you joined the
            > list, Mark did post a link of his webpage on the
            > subject which I found interesting :-
            >
            > Jeborics, or Galactic Points: Deep-Sky Radiation
            > Sources
            > http://www.geocities.com/mahtezcatpoc/jeborics.html
            >
            > Cal

            I've been looking at some more of these "jeborics";
            when I feel confident in what I've got on them, I'll
            add more to the page.

            Mark A. Holmes

            __________________________________
            Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
          • Diana K. Rosenberg
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3 11:38 PM
              > Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 21:27:48 -0800 (PST)
              > From: Mark Andrew Holmes <mahtezcatpoc@...>
              >Subject: Re: Jeborics

              >Jeborics is just another word for quasars, pulsars,
              >black holes, BL Lacertae objects and other objects
              >outside our solar system that are strong emitters of
              >radiation on frequencies outside the visible-light
              >band--what are also called galactic points. It was Al
              >H. Morrison who first came up with the term; he said
              >he got it from Dane Rudhyar.

              >Mark A. Holmes

              Strange word! I wonder where Rudhyar got it from. The closest I
              could get is Jebus - "a city on the site afterwards occupied
              by Jerusalem"

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4 4:49 AM
                --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
                wrote:
                > > Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 21:27:48 -0800 (PST)
                > > From: Mark Andrew Holmes
                > <mahtezcatpoc@...>
                > >Subject: Re: Jeborics
                >
                > >Jeborics is just another word for quasars, pulsars,
                > >black holes, BL Lacertae objects and other objects
                > >outside our solar system that are strong emitters
                > of
                > >radiation on frequencies outside the visible-light
                > >band--what are also called galactic points. It was
                > Al
                > >H. Morrison who first came up with the term; he
                > said
                > >he got it from Dane Rudhyar.
                >
                > >Mark A. Holmes
                >
                > Strange word! I wonder where Rudhyar got it from.

                Maybe Morrison made it up.

                BTW: I always pronounce it jeb-ORE-iks.

                Mark A. Holmes

                __________________________________
                Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 4 4:54 AM
                  --- "Diana K. Rosenberg" <ye-stars@...>
                  wrote:
                  > > Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 21:27:48 -0800 (PST)
                  > > From: Mark Andrew Holmes
                  > <mahtezcatpoc@...>
                  > >Subject: Re: Jeborics
                  >
                  > >Jeborics is just another word for quasars, pulsars,
                  > >black holes, BL Lacertae objects and other objects
                  > >outside our solar system that are strong emitters
                  > of
                  > >radiation on frequencies outside the visible-light
                  > >band--what are also called galactic points. It was
                  > Al
                  > >H. Morrison who first came up with the term; he
                  > said
                  > >he got it from Dane Rudhyar.
                  >
                  > >Mark A. Holmes
                  >
                  > Strange word! I wonder where Rudhyar got it from.
                  > The closest I
                  > could get is Jebus - "a city on the site afterwards
                  > occupied
                  > by Jerusalem"

                  Maybe Morrison coined the term from Jebus, kind of
                  whimsically. (Where does Rudhyar mention Jebus,
                  anyway?)

                  Mark A. Holmes

                  Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!