Fixed star alignments (August 8, 2010)

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 2010
      As of midnight GMT.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today (with a 1 00'
      orb).

      The Propeller Nebula was aligned with Neptune, not Chiron, last week, and AF Cygni was not aligned with Saturn, and RR Coronae Borealis was not aligned with Pallas.  Sorry.

      Jupiter

      Difda (Beta Ceti)

      Chorion (Zeta Horologii)

      *Salm (Upsilon Pegasi)

      Vernalis (Omicron Piscium)

      Galactic South Pole(Sculptoris)

      Saturn

      Asellus Secundus (Iota Bootis)

      AL Comae Berenices

      GO Comae Berenices (cataclysmic variables aka novae)

      M-84 (Virginis; elliptical galaxy with suspected black hole)

      *M-87 (Virginis; aka Virgo A; marks the Supergalactic Center)

      *NGC 4261 (elliptical galaxy with black hole)

      The Eyes (NGC 4435/4438 Virginis; a pair of galaxies that look like a pair of
      eyes)

      The Nonet (NGC 4438 Virginis; galaxy)

      Uranus

      The Flying Minnow(Harrington STAR 4 Aurigae; asterism)

      Deneb Kaitos Schemali(Iota Ceti)

      RR Coronae Borealis(cataclysmic variable)

      Galactic North Pole(Comae Berenices)

      AF Cygni (cataclysmic variable)

      NGC 1399(Fornacis; galaxy)

      Brolga(Rho Gruis)

      Manus Justitia(10 Lacertae)

      Scheat (Beta Pegasi)

      Kerb (Tau Pegasi)

      *IP Pegasi (cataclysmic variable)

      NGC 7457(Pegasi)

      NGC 7742(Pegasi; galaxies w/black hole)

      Gliese 86 (Phoenicis; has planets)

      WZ Sagittarii(cataclysmic variable)

      Lucida Sculptoris(Alpha Sculptoris)

      Sculptor Galaxy(NGC 253 Sculptoris)

      Tsien Ta Tseang(10 Trianguli)

      Shalish(12 Trianguli)

      Nili Donum(14 Trianguli)

      ER Ursae Majoris

      W Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variables)

      Neptune

      Gienah (Epsilon Cygni)

      Propeller Nebula (MRSL 479 Cygni)

      Cor Piscis Austrini (Beta Piscis Austrini)

      Pluto

      Atiyah(Omicron Herculis)

      DQ Herculis (cataclysmic variable)

      *Dusares (Kappa Mensae)

      Pi Mensae (has planets)

      Phorbaceus (72 Ophiuchi)

      Emerald Nebula(NGC 6572 Ophiuchi)

      Ira Furoris(Eta Sagittarii)

      Kaus Medius(Delta Sagittarii)

      Polis(Mu Sagittarii)

      Eris

      Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)

      Kui (Zeta Andromedae)

      Mirfak al Bintu (Eta Andromedae)

      Tien Ke (Theta Andromedae)

      VV Cephei (nova)

      Baten Kaitos(Zeta Ceti)

      Ceres

      Huma (Delta Apodis)

      Korban (Zeta Arae)

      *XTE J1650-500/GX339-4 (Arae; the lightest known black hole)

      Rijl al Jathiyah (Iota Herculis)

      Maasym (Lambda Herculis)

      Imad (Theta Ophiuchi)

      Wajrik (Xi Ophiuchi)

      Bug Nebula (NGC 6302 Scorpii)

      Cotton Candy Nebula (CRL 6815 Scorpii)

      Spindle Nebula (IRAS 17106-3046 Scorpii)

      Atria (Alpha Trianguli Australe)

      Pallas

      *QU Carinae (cataclysmic variable)

      *Omega Centauri (NGC 5139 Centauri; a very bright globular cluster)

      Nusakan (Beta Coronae Borealis)

      *Noctua (50 Hydrae; marks the obsolete constellation Noctua the Night-Owl)

      *Jikiketsu (Lambda Muscae)

      *Hoag's Object (PGC 54559 Serpentis; a ring galaxy in Serpens Caput discovered by Jim Hoag)

      *Rijl al Awwa (Mu Virginis)

      *Passer (Gamma-2 Volantis)

      Juno

      *Xiao Fang (Phi-1 Cancri)

      *Kou An (Chi Cancri)

      *Typographica (28 Monocerotis; marks the obsolete constellation Officina Typographica the Printing Press)

      *Albino Butterfly Nebula (NGC 2440 Puppis)

      *Talitha (Iota Ursae Majoris)

      *Talitha Australis (Kappa Ursae Majoris)

      *NGC 3516 (Ursae Majoris; elliptical galaxy)

      Vesta

      *Asellus Tertius (Kappa Bootis)

      *IR Comae Berenices (cataclysmic variable)

      *Pinwheel Galaxy (M-99 Comae Berenices)

      *NGC 4450 (Comae Berenices)

      *NGC 4692 (Comae Berenices; galaxies with black holes)

      *Al Sharasif (Beta Crateris)

      *Al Batiyah (Gamma Crateris)

      *Asina (Chi-1 Hydrae)

      *Lucida Sextantis (Alpha Sextantis)

      *Markeb (Kappa Velorum)

      *Wild's Triplet (Arp 248 Virginis; interacting galaxy grouping)

      Chiron

      Network Nebula (NGC 6992 Cygni)

      Tsuru (Theta Gruis)

      Ibycus (Iota Gruis)

      M-15 (Pegasi; densest known globular cluster)

      North Node

      HD 181433 (Pavonis; has planets)

      Nunki (Sigma Sagittarii)

      Ross 154 (V1216 Sagittarii; nearby star)

      Tien Pien (Beta Scuti)

      Delta Scuti (the archetypal Delta Scuti variable)

      South Node

      Al Agribah  (Lambda Canis Majoris)

      Najibah (Theta Geminorum)

      Alzirr (Xi Geminorum)

      DN Geminorum (cataclysmic variable)

      The Arrow Head (Harrington STAR 5 Monocerotis; asterism)

      BT Monocerotis (cataclysmic variable)

      COROT-7 (Monocerotis;has planets)

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 22, 2010
        The Pluto alignment with Kaus Medius went out of force during the week of July 4 and shouldn't be in this list, either.

        I was trying to take college classes and getting my computer fixed on top of everything else while this was going on. I sincerely apologize for all the inaccuracies in these reports.

        Mark A. Holmes

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 22, 2010
          --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "mahtezcatpoc" <mahtezcatpoc@...> wrote:

          > The Pluto alignment with Kaus Medius went out of force during the week of July 4 and shouldn't be in this list, either.

          And the Uranus alignment with Kerb went out of force during the week of August 1.

          I'll try to pay closer attention in the future.