Deeper understanding of Algol

  • Sunil John
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 28, 2010
      Dear Friends,
      Greetings

      I come from Vedic Astrology background and trying to learn Fixed stars astrology since a very limited time and not been that successful. Thought knowing my background i could request for an answer to a query that has been bothering me

      At most places i have read the Algol/Medusas Head is a very unfortunate star, my humble queries are

      a) Is their anything good about Algol

      b) How can one counteract the negative energy of Algol and make it a positive one, has anyone succeeded if so any examples would help in understanding Algol as i have been desperately trying to understand Algol but feel their is something more to its understanding. If this is too basic a query pls excuse as i am a beginner.

      Pls guide

      Kind regards
      Sunil John
      Mumbai

    • Shevtsova
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 28, 2010
        (Sunil John)
        > At most places i have read the Algol/Medusas Head is a very
        > unfortunate star, my humble queries are
        > a) Is their anything good about Algol
        > b) How can one counteract the negative energy of Algol and make
        > it a positive one, has anyone succeeded if so any examples would
        > help in understanding Algol as i have been desperately trying to
        > understand Algol but feel their is something more to its understanding.
        > If this is too basic a query pls excuse as i am a beginner.

        Hi,

        I am not certain if others who are more knowledgeable on the list will
        agree. I think any fixed stars can be somewhat malefic or benefic depending
        on the following. Of course, Algol which is the most malefic will be
        extremely malefic if it is accentuated by the position of the planets in
        aspects to it. If there are benefic aspects from the position of planets to
        it, then it could attenuate its extreme malefic manifestation.

        Any planet or angle as Ascendant or MC close to the degree of Algol will be
        malefic if this planet is within an unfriendly sign and receive aspects from
        other accidental or natural malefics. Any planet or angle as Ascendant or
        MC close to the degree of Algol will make one very successful if this planet
        is in a friendly sign and receives aspects from other accidental or natural
        benefics. And if there is no planet or angle close to the degree, then a
        transit or progression on that degree will have a malefic or positive effect
        depending on the aspect on the signs where are located Ascendant, MC, Sun
        or Moon.

        Shev
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 28, 2010
          --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Sunil John <suniljohn_2002@...> wrote:

          > Dear Friends,
          > Greetings
          >
          > I come from Vedic Astrology background and trying to learn Fixed stars astrology
          > since a very limited time and not been that successful. Thought knowing my
          > background i could request for an answer to a query that has been bothering me
          >
          > At most places i have read the Algol/Medusas Head is a very unfortunate star, my
          > humble queries are
          >
          > a) Is their anything good about Algol
          >
          > b) How can one counteract the negative energy of Algol and make it a positive
          > one, has anyone succeeded if so any examples would help in understanding Algol
          > as i have been desperately trying to understand Algol but feel their is
          > something more to its understanding. If this is too basic a query pls excuse as
          > i am a beginner.

          Well, I think Bernadette Brady has done some work on Algol. This is copied and pasted from the built-in star interpretations on SolarFire 7:

          "[Algol]. Considered the most evil star in the sky, this label is not supported by working with Algol in many charts. According to the Greeks, the star is the severed head of Medusa and is used by Perseus to save Andromeda, as well as his mother. Algol is all the passion and intensity of the feminine which can be used effectively or destructively."

          Mark A. Holmes
        • Sunil John
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 28, 2010
            Hi Shev
            Greetings

            Appreciate this reply, many thanks

            Regards
            Sunil

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 29, 2010

              > Greetings Appreciate this reply, many thanks

              Hi Sunil,

              I think that in jyotish astrology, signs and planets do good or bad depending on their locations, and I have found that same effect with fixed stars.  Even Spica, the most benefic star, can be malefic if ill aspected, or by having its ruler debilitated.

              The best way to prove you this is to look at charts of people with either Luminary, Ascendant or MC conjunct a fixed star.  A best place do this search is here.  http://www.astrotheme.com/celebrites/criteres.php  You will have to give the degree in tropical however instead of sideral.

              Example:  let's try Algol which is now 26:19 Taurus tropical.  So let's search for people born with Sun conjunct Algol.  I found Pierre Curie (Paris, France, May 15, 1859 2:00 a.m.  – April 19, 1906, Paris) was a French physicist, a pioneer in crystallography, magnetism, piezoelectricity and radioactivity.   Pierre died in Paris on 19 April 1906. He tried to run across the street while it was raining, but he slipped, and then was hit and run over by a horse drawn vehicle. His skull was badly fractured.   http://www.astrotheme.com/portraits/6x68XtgXd5WD.htm  Sun 23Taurus in 3rd square Nodes (Rahu, Ketu) and Saturn in Leo (Whole Sign). Venus is in Aries and in detriment.  On April 19th, transit Mars 23Taurus on radix Sun 23Taurus on Algol, and transit Saturn 11Pisces conj radix Ascendant 13Pisces.  In western astrology, we use secondary progressions or primary directions, which advance the Ascendant and MC in a similar fashion, using Regiomontanus and Naibod.  So in 2006, progressed MC 6 Aquarius oppose radix Saturn 6 Leo ruler of 12th.

              Another example:   Jean Gabin (Paris, France 17 May 1904 2:00 a.m. – 15 November 1976) was a major French actor and war hero.  He died of leukemia.  He had some difficult hardships at times, financial difficulties, and had a bad character.   Sun 25Taurus in 3rd conjunct Mars square Saturn in 12th.   Venus is also in Taurus and is strong.  On 15 November 1976, progressed Mars square Jupiter, and transit Mars and transit Jupiter 26 Scorpio/Taurus are on his radix Sun-Mars conjunction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Gabin

              When people have their Sun, Moon, Ascendant, MC on major fixed stars, then it can help them to have an out-of-ordinary life, and it elevate them in life.

              Shev

            • Sunil John
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 31, 2010
                Hi Shev
                Greetings

                Many many thanks for this and i am sorry for not being able to reply to you on tome. I got distracted with Pierre Curie chart on the nature of death happened, i must thank u for pointing that chart out as it is extremely useful to me in one of the studies.

                Shev, you went further than asked for and explained things so well, am extremely grateful. I tried to play around with the site u mentioned which is astrotheme but so far was unsuccessful in locating how to get the fixed stars in the search, need to revisit the site again but thanks for that since i was looking for a tool like that although i do have the official ADB 4.0 which does not have it as a search in the vedic databank wonder if it is there in the other databank.

                I need to revisit your mails again and understand things well, your 2nd mail with exmaples was very helpful

                I think that in jyotish astrology, signs and planets do good or bad depending on their locations, and I have found that same effect with fixed stars.  Even Spica, the most benefic star, can be malefic if ill aspected, or by having its ruler debilitated.

                So if someone has say Algol on the Asc degree or say with Saturn in the 4H then the lords of these

                a) in first case it would be the placement of Asc lord that would determine things
                b) Lord of 4H and aspects on the 4H & 4L
                This just like jyotish

                When people have their Sun, Moon, Ascendant, MC on major fixed stars, then it can help them to have an out-of-ordinary life, and it elevate them in life.
                Can i quote you in an article on the above para

                Many thanks

                Kind regards
                Sunil

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 31, 2010
                  (Sunil John)
                  > I tried to play around with the site u mentioned which is astrotheme but
                  > so far was unsuccessful in locating how to get the fixed stars in the
                  > search...
                  (me)
                  There are astro research softwares who can be more efficient. It is true
                  this website do not use fixed stars in the search. However, this website
                  offer the possibility to search persons born on the date using only planets,
                  but you can put one planet on a precise degree. Example: I will search Sun
                  22Libra on Spica. And I get Friedrich Nietzsche born 15 october 1844, 10:00
                  a.m. Roecken (Germany). I make a new search to find people who have Sun
                  22Libra like him, and add criterions like Virgo Mars and Venus (ruler of his
                  Sun), and Pisces Jupiter, as this is an important characteristic of Nietzche
                  to have this Mars opposed to Jupiter in connection with the ruler of his
                  Sun, and found nobody. So it is interesting that he was the only famous
                  person with this characteristic. Nietzsche was a philosopher. Nietzsche
                  claimed the death of God would eventually lead to the loss of any universal
                  perspective on things, and along with it any coherent sense of objective
                  truth.

                  (Sunil John)
                  > So if someone has say Algol on the Asc degree or say with Saturn in the 4H
                  > then the lords of these
                  > a) in first case it would be the placement of Asc lord that would
                  > determine things
                  > b) Lord of 4H and aspects on the 4H & 4L
                  > This just like jyotish
                  (me)
                  Ancient and traditional astrology has many similarities with Jyotish.
                  Saturn in the 4H would be in Leo, in detriment, so Algol would be in 10th
                  from Algol, so this is a difficult position. Now, it depend on the position
                  of Sun ruler of Saturn, and on the position of Venus ruler of Ascendant. If
                  Sun and Venus are strong, it could help this position. Using the website
                  http://www.astrotheme.com/celebrites/criteres.php using Saturn 25Leo and
                  Saturn in 4th house, I found Porfirio Diaz who was born with Ascendant
                  25Taurus on Algol. José de la Cruz Porfirio Díaz Mori (15 September 1830
                  9:30 p.m. Oaxaca, Mexico – died 2 July 1915) Diaz was a Mexican-American
                  War volunteer, French Intervention hero, and President of Mexico. He ruled
                  from 1876 to 1880 and from 1884 to 1911. Note that Venus ruler of his
                  Ascendant is conjunct Saturn in 4th, and both in Leo and conjunct REGULUS,
                  so they are ruled by Sun 22Virgo trine 25Taurus Ascendant, opposed to Mars
                  27Pisces and trine Jupiter in Capricorn (sign aspect). His dictatorial
                  regime ended with the Mexican Revolution and he fled to France where he died
                  in exile. So this man was successful but he died in exile probably because
                  of Saturn and Venus conjunct in 4th.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porfirio_Diaz

                  (me)
                  > When people have their Sun, Moon, Ascendant, MC on major fixed
                  > stars, then it can help them to have an out-of-ordinary life, and it
                  > elevate
                  > them in life.
                  (Sunil John)
                  > Can i quote you in an article on the above para
                  (me)
                  I was not the first to write this. I remember reading another astrologer,
                  Tom Callanan, who use this quote. Maybe it is "his"? I think you can use
                  it as your own. It belongs to you now.

                  Kind regards to you too, Sunil

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 31, 2010
                    http://www.astrotheme.com/celebrites/criteres.php

                    I've got this site bookmarked. I wish it had Eris, too, BTW.

                    Mark A. Holmes

                    --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Shevtsova" <shevtsova@...> wrote:

                    > (Sunil John)
                    > > I tried to play around with the site u mentioned which is astrotheme but
                    > > so far was unsuccessful in locating how to get the fixed stars in the
                    > > search...
                    > (me)
                    > There are astro research softwares who can be more efficient. It is true
                    > this website do not use fixed stars in the search. However, this website
                    > offer the possibility to search persons born on the date using only planets,
                    > but you can put one planet on a precise degree. Example: I will search Sun
                    > 22Libra on Spica. And I get Friedrich Nietzsche born 15 october 1844, 10:00
                    > a.m. Roecken (Germany). I make a new search to find people who have Sun
                    > 22Libra like him, and add criterions like Virgo Mars and Venus (ruler of his
                    > Sun), and Pisces Jupiter, as this is an important characteristic of Nietzche
                    > to have this Mars opposed to Jupiter in connection with the ruler of his
                    > Sun, and found nobody. So it is interesting that he was the only famous
                    > person with this characteristic. Nietzsche was a philosopher. Nietzsche
                    > claimed the death of God would eventually lead to the loss of any universal
                    > perspective on things, and along with it any coherent sense of objective
                    > truth.
                  • Sunil John
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 2, 2010
                      Dear Shev
                      Greetings

                      Thanks for your patience in teaching me all this

                      a) You have given a very important tip on how to use astrotheme.com and now i have understood it completely. Once again appreciate this as it is most helpful tip for me

                      b) U did mention that there are some other research softwares for fixed stars, can you suggest one or two which are good and simple even for a not so computer savvy person to understand.

                      c) U have given a splendid example of Porfirio Diaz, it is most helpful. Here in Vedic Astrology we call the 4H the house of throne, Algol presents out of ordinary circumstances and experiences here and his ruler of Algol is with Saturn in the 4H of throne in the royal sign Leo and Saturn is KingMaker Planet (Yogakaraka) for Taurus Asc.

                      d) >I was not the first to write this. I remember reading another astrologer,
                      >Tom Callanan, who use this quote. Maybe it is "his"? I think you can use
                      >it as your own. It belongs to you now.
                      Thanks Shev, you are extremely humble and kind person teaching all this.
                      I would like to take this up with you very soon in time after i have done some homework and experimenting with Algol
                      Hope you dont mind
                      Kind regards
                      Sunil

> [...]

                      9:30 p.m. Oaxaca, Mexico – died 2 July 1915) Diaz was a Mexican-American
                      War volunteer, French Intervention hero, and President of Mexico. He ruled
                      from 1876 to 1880 and from 1884 to 1911. Note that Venus ruler of his
                      Ascendant is conjunct Saturn in 4th, and both in Leo and conjunct REGULUS,
                      so they are ruled by Sun 22Virgo trine 25Taurus Ascendant, opposed to Mars
                      27Pisces and trine Jupiter in Capricorn (sign aspect). His dictatorial
                      regime ended with the Mexican Revolution and he fled to France where he died
                      in exile. So this man was successful but he died in exile probably because
                      of Saturn and Venus conjunct in 4th.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porfirio_Diaz

                      (me)
                      > When people have their Sun, Moon, Ascendant, MC on major fixed
                      > stars, then it can help them to have an out-of-ordinary life, and it
                      (Sunil John)