Fw: [moderatorcentral] Forward button removed from Yahoo! Groups

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4 9:24 AM

      --- On Wed, 2/3/10, moderatorcentral-owner@yahoogroups.com <moderatorcentral-owner@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      From: moderatorcentral-owner@yahoogroups.com <moderatorcentral-owner@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [moderatorcentral] Forward button removed from Yahoo! Groups
      To: moderatorcentral@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, February 3, 2010, 11:01 PM

      Today you might notice things look a little different within Yahoo! Groups as the "forward" button has been removed from the web interface.

      Then: http://www.ygroupsb log.com/blog/ wp-content/ uploads/2010/ 02/forwardbutton .jpg

      Now: http://www.ygroupsb log.com/blog/ wp-content/ uploads/2010/ 02/noforward. jpg

      This change was made as we recently discovered that this feature was being exploited by spammers as it allowed for spammers to freely enter up to 50 email addresses of their choice, as well as submit new content that may or may not have any relation to the original message from the group.

      While we know that the removal of this feature may be frustrating to some, we believe it will also reduce the number of "spammy" messages that are being sent out through the Yahoo! Groups system– which is a big win for all Yahoo! Groups users.

      Of course you can still forward a message yourself the old fashioned way by copy/pasting but remember, before you send on a group message, you need to have the "explicit permission of every group member whose content is being re-posted or re-transmitted. " (Review the Yahoo! Groups Guidelines here: http://groups. yahoo.com/ local/guidelines .html)

      Also included in this release is the return of the audio CAPTCHA (we first blogged about this back in November: http://www.ygroupsb log.com/blog/ 2009/11/19/ groups-updates- captcha-posting- from-the- owner-address- email-moderation /) - an accessibility feature that makes using Yahoo! Groups much easier for those that are visually impaired. To learn more about CAPTCHA (http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ CAPTCHA), and how Yahoo tests for accessibility issues, check out this post on our sister blog, Yodel Anecdotal: http://ycorpblog. com/2009/ 10/29/opening- eyes-to-accessib ility/

      -Melissa & The Yahoo! Groups Team