Re: [thefixedstars] Shooting star

  • Lynda Walker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2010

      Thanks Mark, I realised it was a meteorite, but not the shower it would have come from. Can they happen randomly as well?

      Regards
      Lynda
      From: Lynda Walker <lawalker@ihug. co.nz>
      Subject: [thefixedstars] Shooting star
      To: "thefixedstars Newsgroup" <thefixedstars@ yahoogroups. com>
      Date: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 5:57 PM

      Hi Mark

      I saw a shooting star near Orion's belt on the 9th Jan @23:00 NZDT -13:00 from Auckland. This is the first I've seen down here despite often watching the night sky. I looked on the web, especially the NASA site, but there were no clues to what it would have been.

      Do you have any idea?

      Regards

      Lynda

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2010
        --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Walker" <lawalker@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Mark, I realised it was a meteorite, but not the shower it would have come from. Can they happen randomly as well?

        I suppose so, but then there are tons of minor meteor showers. I'm posting on minor meteor shower radiants right now on The Comets. I just posted a list of the ones occurring in May and I'm working my way forward through the calendar, posting as time permits.

        Mark A. Holmes

      • Lynda Walker
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 13, 2010
          Thanks, Mark. I didn't realise that this was off-topic. I'm running between two houses at present which  is why I was slow to respond, & things are hectic for the foreseeable future. When things settle down, I'll check out the other group too. It's not a major interest, I was just curious, & trying to identify what I saw. But I definitely asked the right person:)

          Regards
          Lynda