Shooting star

  • Lynda Walker
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2010
      Hi Mark

      I saw a shooting star near Orion's belt on the 9th Jan @23:00 NZDT -13:00 from Auckland. This is the first I've seen down here despite often watching the night sky. I looked on the web, especially the NASA site, but there were no clues to what it would have been.

      Do you have any idea?

      Regards

      Lynda
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2010
        Probably a meteor. Not a fixed star.

        Mark A. Holmes

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2010

          Thanks Mark, I realised it was a meteorite, but not the shower it would have come from. Can they happen randomly as well?

          Regards
          Lynda

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 10, 2010
            --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda Walker" <lawalker@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Mark, I realised it was a meteorite, but not the shower it would have come from. Can they happen randomly as well?

            I suppose so, but then there are tons of minor meteor showers. I'm posting on minor meteor shower radiants right now on The Comets. I just posted a list of the ones occurring in May and I'm working my way forward through the calendar, posting as time permits.

            Mark A. Holmes

          • Lynda Walker
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 13, 2010
              Thanks, Mark. I didn't realise that this was off-topic. I'm running between two houses at present which  is why I was slow to respond, & things are hectic for the foreseeable future. When things settle down, I'll check out the other group too. It's not a major interest, I was just curious, & trying to identify what I saw. But I definitely asked the right person:)

              Regards
              Lynda