How Tycho Brahe died

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2005
      --- Branka <self@...> wrote:

      > Another reason I write is to ask if anyone has
      > received some, supposedly,
      > mass-email with info of how Kepler poisoned Tyho
      > Brahe?

      Never heard that one.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tycho_Brahe

      "Brahe died in 1601, several days after straining his
      bladder during a banquet. It has been said that to
      leave the banquet before it concluded, would be the
      height of bad manners and so he remained. His weakened
      state allowed an infection to invade his body and lead
      ultimately to his death.

      "However, recent investigations have suggested that
      Tycho did not die from urinary problems but most
      likely from mercury poisoning: toxic levels of it have
      been found in his hair and hair-roots. Tycho may have
      poisoned himself unintentionally by imbibing some
      mercury-containing medicine. (3) Some have even
      speculated that Tycho may have been murdered, though
      there is no solid evidence for this."

      The endnote referenced by the number (3) is this web
      page:

      http://www.griffithobs.org/IPSHowTychoDied.html