Tsi-Choui

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 7, 2009
      I sent

      > > Mu Cancri (29CA12) was Tsi-Sin, the Piled-Up Kindling on which

      the festival food would be cooked. This star's clarity was essential  for the success of the summer celebration. If this star appeared to be close to Tsi-Choui, the Accumulated Waters, the year would be a  happy and prosperous one; if it appeared to be far away from Tsi-Choui, it was an ill omen that the harvest would be bad.

      Mark sent

      What is Tsi-Choui?

      Boy I'm glad you asked me that!  I just realized that Staal has 2 Tsi-Choui's!  Page 28 has it as Chi Geminorum and page 57  has it as Lambda Persei - I just spent an hour tracking them down in his book - my notes now read:

      Tsi-Choui, the Accumulated Waters, was the single star Lambda Perseus (9GE28).  It had to do with floods. (Staal p 57)

      ((there are 2 "Accumulated Waters" in Staal's book; the other is Chi Geminorum (26Can54) at Pollux's cap, Staal p 28))

      Chi Geminorum (Pollux's Cap-26CA57) was Tsi-Choui, The Accumulated Waters; or the Massed or Swollen Waters; a close watch was kept on this star to see if there was a danger of summer floods; astrologers held that if one moment it looked bright and the next it faded away, rivers would overflow and fords and bridges would become impassable.(Staal p 28) ((there are 2 "Accumulated Waters" in Staal's book; the other is Lambda Persei, 9Gem28, above Perseus' right thigh at the Galactic Equator - p 57 in Staal))

      Mu Cancri (29CA12) was Tsi-Sin, the Piled-Up Kindling on which the festival food would be cooked.  This star's clarity was essential for the success of the summer celebration. If this star appeared to be close to Tsi-Choui, the Accumulated Waters, the year would be a happy and prosperous one; if it appeared to be far away from Tsi-Choui, it was an ill omen that the harvest would be bad. ((there are 2 Tsi-Choui's - this appears to refer to the one that is in the area of Pollux's cap, Chi Geminorum, at 26Can57 - p 28 in Staal))

      Note that these positions are epoch 1980; for 2000, add 17 mins; for 2010, add 25 min.

      Whew!  I never noticed that duplication before!  I don't know whether it was Staal's error, or whether there are really 2 Tsi-Choui's!

      Love, Diana

      Website: http://ye-stars.com

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2009
        Maybe we can call them Tsi Choui (or Tsi Choui Geminorum) and Tsi Choui Persei.

        Mark A. Holmes