Re: VY Canis Majoris

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2009
      --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "Diana K Rosenberg" <fixed.stars@...> wrote:
      > Thank you, Mark! I've added it to the book. 2000 position: 28 Can 00
      > (I hope alignments don't get messed up)
      > Note that this starset has the highest score of fires. Ancient Chinese
      > called Psi Can "The Fire Officer" and Mu Can "Piled-up Kindling"

      Xiaofang Zhongzhan and Duiqi Dianran, respectively? (I got that from an online translator).

      > Long Lat Dec
      > RA M Spec
      > Tau Puppis in Stern, near rudder of Argo 27CA44 -72 51 -50 37 6 50

      Tau Puppis has a proper name: Al Taleban (kind of appropriate, given current events, isn't it? I think the name actually means "the student," but whatever).

      (BTW: You might have noticed some more nontraditional star names starting to show up in my posts. They're my coinages and they go with mostly third- to fifth-magnitude stars in the far southern sky--specifically, in the constellations Apus, Chamaeleon, Grus, Musca, Pavo, Tucana and Volans. Someday I'll post a list of all the star names I coined.)

      Mark A. Holmes

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2009