The Galaxy Zoo

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2009

      http://www.galaxyzoo.org

      "Welcome to Galaxy Zoo, where you can help astronomers explore the Universe.

      The Galaxy Zoo files contain almost a quarter of a million galaxies which have been imaged with a camera attached to a robotic telescope the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, no less). In order to understand how these galaxies — and our own — formed, we need your help to classify them according to their shapes — a task at which your brain is better than even the fastest computer.

      More than 150,000 people have taken part in Galaxy Zoo so far, producing a wealth of valuable data and sending telescopes on Earth and in space chasing after their discoveries."

      (Bonus picture of Hanny's Voorwerp:

      )