Bug or Butterfly Nebula

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11 8:37 AM
      Mark sent

      NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day (September 10, 2009)

      Posted by: "mahtezcatpoc" mahtezcatpoc@... mahtezcatpoc

      Date: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:02 pm ((PDT))

      NGC 6302, the Bug Nebula (aka the Butterfly Nebula); in Scorpius.

      Thank you Mark.

      As it happens, I just calculated this for Jerry Koenig and the Star Symbols group

      There are several "Butterflies" in the sky - this one, also called the "Bug Nebula",
      is NGC 6302, in the Scorpion just west of the sting; now located (2009) at 20 Sag 38,
      Lat 14S03, Dec 37S07, RA 17 14 19

      Source: Sky Catalog 2000.0, p 309, rectified to 2009 using CCRS.

      Love, Diana

      Website: http://ye-stars.com

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11 8:42 AM
        They were calling this one the Butterfly Nebula. When you have several different objects with the same nickname, you have to find some way to keep them all straight. This one has always been the Bug Nebula to me.

        Mark A. Holmes

        NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day (September 10, 2009)

        Posted by: "mahtezcatpoc" mahtezcatpoc@ yahoo.com mahtezcatpoc

        Date: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:02 pm ((PDT))

        http://antwrp. gsfc.nasa. gov/apod/ ap090910. html