Fixed star alignments (September 6, 2009)

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2009
      As of midnight GMT.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today (with a 1 00'
      orb).

      Jupiter

      Crescent Nebula (NGC 6888 Cygni)

      The Red-Necked Emu (Harrington STAR 26 Cygni; asterism)

      Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)

      *HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

      *Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)

      *Ras Alkurki (Lambda Gruis)

      *IL Vulpeculae

      *QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variables)

      Saturn

      Lucida Antliae (Alpha Antliae)

      *Dhat al-Khullab (24 Canum Venaticorum)

      Avior (Epsilon Carinae)

      *Alkes (Alpha Crateris)

      *Eight-Burst Planetary (NGC 3132 Velorum)

      Uranus

      *Lacerta Cauda (1 Lacertae)

      BL Lacertae (blazar, prototype of its class)

      Cosmic 6 Nebula (Abell 79 Lacertae)

      Matar (Eta Pegasi)

      Sadalbari (Mu Pegasi)

      51 Pegasi (has planets)

      *Pegasus 1 Cluster (NGC 7619 Pegasi)

      *Corripio (Zeta Reticuli)

      Rhombus (Kappa Reticuli)

      Neptune

      Bunda (Xi Aquarii)

      *Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)

      Sador (Gamma Cygni)

      *Al Faras al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)

      Pherasauval (Delta Equulei)

      Haruspex (Beta Horologii)

      Pluto

      Tao Shou (Theta Arae)

      Ramo (95 Herculis; marks the obsolete constellation Ramo, the Branch)

      Sinistra (Nu Ophiuchi)

      Fellah (67 Ophiuchi)

      Poniatovii (70 Ophiuchi; marks the obsolete constellation Taurus Poniatovii,
      Poniatowski's Bull)

      Alnasl (Gamma Sagittarii)

      Spiculum (M-8/M-20/M-21 Sagittarii)

      Lagoon Nebula (M-8 Sagittarii)

      Trifid Nebula (M-20 Sagittarii)

      M-21 (Sagittarii)

      Red Spider Nebula (NGC 6537 Sagittarii)

      DZ Serpentis (cataclysmic variable aka nova, in Serpens Cauda)

      Eris

      Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)

      VV Cephei (cataclysmic variable)

      Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)

      Ceres

      *Algorab (Delta Corvi)

      *Tchang-Cha (Zeta Corvi)

      *Avis Satyra (Eta Corvi)

      *The Stargate (Harrington STAR 20 Corvi; a small asterism)

      *Sombrero Galaxy (M-104 Virginis)

      *NGC 4697 (Virginis; galaxy with suspected black hole)

      *The Jaws (Harrington STAR 21 Virginis; a small asterism)

      Pallas

      *Asterion (Beta Canum Venaticorum)

      *La Superba (Y Canum Venaticorum)

      *Tsze Tseang (Iota Leonis)

      *Copeland's Septet (galaxy grouping:  NGC 3745/3746/3748/3750/3751/3753/3754 Leonis)

      *Alcor (80 Ursae Majoris)

      Juno

      Difda (Beta Ceti)

      *Deneb Kaitos Schemali (Iota Ceti)

      Chorion (Zeta Horologii)

      *Sellio (6 Lacertae; a former name for Lacerta the Lizard was Sellio the Newt)

      *Kerb (Tau Pegasi)

      *Salm (Upsilon Pegasi)

      Vernalis (Omega Piscium)

      Vesta

      *Al Tarf (Beta Cancri)

      *Typographica (28 Monocerotis; marks the obsolete constellation Officina Typographica the Printing Press)

      *Talitha Borealis (Iota Ursae Majoris)

      *Talitha Australis (Kappa Ursae Majoris)

      *NGC 3516 (Ursae Majoris; elliptical galaxy)

      Chiron

      Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)

      *Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)

      Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni; nebula)

      Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)

      Al Faras al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)

      Gruid (Beta Gruis)

      Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)

      VW Hydri (cataclysmic variable)

      Polophylax (Zeta Tucanae; marks the obsolete constellation Polophylax the Pole
      Guard)

      TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

      North Node

      Pe Sze (Alpha Indi; aka The Persian)

      Aladfar (Eta Lyrae)

      BE Octantis (cataclysmic variable)

      *Bull's Eye Pulsar (SNR G54.1+0.3 Sagittae)

      Anser (Alpha Vulpeculae)

      *NQ Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

      South Node

      Aludra (Eta Canis Majoris)

      *Al Taleban (Tau Puppis)

      CI Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variable)

      EZ Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variable)

      Bode's Galaxy (M-81 Ursae Majoris)

      Starburst Galaxy (M-82 Ursae Majoris)

      Holmberg IX (UGC 5336 Ursae Majoris)

      Anwar al-Farkadain (Eta Ursae Minoris)

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2009
        --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Mark Andrew Holmes <mahtezcatpoc@...> wrote:

        > As of midnight GMT.
        >
        > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today (with a 1 00'
        > orb).
        >

        > Uranus
        >

        > *Corripio (Zeta Reticuli)

        This name, as you might have guessed, is my coinage; it's Latin for "seize" or "snatch up."

        In 1961, Barney and Eunice (Betty) Hill of Portsmouth, New Hampshire were reportedly abducted by aliens near Indian Head, New Hampshire while on a road trip. While in the alien spacecraft, Betty Hill was shown a star map, which she later reproduced while under hypnosis; someone discovered that it showed about three dozen sunlike stars as seen from the point of view of Zeta Reticuli, a double star system with two sunlike stars.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_Reticuli

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_and_Barney_Hill_abduction

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 9, 2009
          > --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Mark Andrew Holmes <mahtezcatpoc@> wrote:
          > >
          > > As of midnight GMT.
          > >
          > > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today (with a 1 00'
          > > orb).
          > >

          > > Uranus
          > >

          > > *Corripio (Zeta Reticuli)
          >

          > This name, as you might have guessed, is my coinage; it's Latin for "seize" or "snatch up."
          >
          > In 1961, Barney and Eunice (Betty) Hill of Portsmouth, New Hampshire were reportedly abducted by aliens near Indian Head, New Hampshire while on a road trip. While in the alien spacecraft, Betty Hill was shown a star map, which she later reproduced while under hypnosis; someone discovered that it showed about three dozen sunlike stars as seen from the point of view of Zeta Reticuli, a double star system with two sunlike stars.
          >

          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_Reticuli
          >
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_and_Barney_Hill_abduction

          I also gave some of the stars in the Hyades and other stars around them in Taurus names that tradition doesn't assign to them; and, Evacuo (another coinage of mine, for Eta Antliae) marks the jar Antlia the Air-Pump is emptying of gas.