Yahoo! News Story - Telescope can find "oodles" of Earths: NASA - Yahoo! News

  • Mark Holmes
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2009
      Mark Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
      (Email address has not been verified.)
      Personal message:

      Telescope can find "oodles" of Earths: NASA - Yahoo! News

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090806/sc_nm/us_space_planet

      Yahoo! News
      http://news.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2009
        --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Mark Holmes <mahtezcatpoc@...> wrote:

        > Mark Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
        > Personal message:
        >

        > Telescope can find "oodles" of Earths: NASA - Yahoo! News
        >
        > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090806/sc_nm/us_space_planet

        "WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The orbiting Kepler telescope has spotted a Jupiter-sized planet around another star -- a sighting that demonstrates it can see Earth-like planets if they are out there, scientists reported on Thursday.

        The planet, called HAT-P-7b, was already among the 300 or so known so-called extrasolar planets, the team led by the U.S. space agency NASA reported. But measurements of its orbit by Kepler show the telescope will be able to see smaller planets, they reported in the journal Science.

        "We think it is likely that Kepler is going to find oodles and oodles of Earths," astrobiologist Alan Boss of the Carnegie Institution of Washington told a news conference.

        Boss said one day "we'll be able to stand outside ... and say 'Hey kids, look out there see that star? That one has an Earth"."