Re: Yahoo! News Story - Total Amateurs Discover 'Green Pea' Galaxies - Yahoo! News

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 6, 2009
      > --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Mark Holmes <mahtezcatpoc@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Mark Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@) has sent you a news article.
      > > (Email address has not been verified.)
      > > Personal message:
      > >

      > > Total Amateurs Discover 'Green Pea' Galaxies - Yahoo! News
      > >
      > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20090728/sc_space/totalamateursdiscovergreenpeagalaxies
      > >

      > "Armchair astronomers have helped discover a batch of tiny galaxies that may help professional astronomers understand how galaxies formed stars in the early universe.
      >
      > Dubbed the "Green Peas," the galaxies are forming stars 10 times faster then the Milky Way despite being 10 times smaller and 100 times less massive. They are between 1.5 billion and 5 billion light years away
      >
      > "These are among the most extremely active star-forming galaxies we've ever found," said Carolin Cardamone, lead author of a paper on the discoveries to be published in an upcoming issue of the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.
      >
      > The discoveries were made as part of a project called Galaxy Zoo, where Internet users volunteer their spare time to help classify galaxies for an online image database."

      I think this one, with the object ID 587725073921409255, might have been the first one to be discovered, since it's the first one on the list. I believe its catalog designation is SDSS J094458.22-004545.4.

      http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0907/0907.4155v1.pdf

      http://cas.sdss.org/astro/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?id=587725073921409255

      SDSS = Sloan Digital Sky Survey.

      http://cas.sdss.org/astro/en/

      Its 2000 RA and declination is RA 146.242618, declination -0.762639, which I think translates to hour-degree-second format as 6h19m33.413s right ascension, declination 0S46.

      That would be in Orion near the Monoceros border, and form sort of an upside down right triangle with 60 Orionis and Gamma Monocerotis in which a line between those two stars would be the hypotenuse.

      Zodiacal coordinates, 5 Cancer 46.