Re: Serpents in the sky

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 11, 2009

      > well I'm not fond of snakes but I dont hate them, sort of mutual respect thing, I've had to ask one or two nicely to stay out of the backyard. but they generally go quietly and all is well. I dont care if they are int he front yard because it reduces gophers and I dont have any animals out front. backyard becomes a nuisance with the dog wanting to see who is boss(she is but dont tell her she's obnoxious enough) But if one turned up around my leg while driving I have to agree I might end up in the ditch....though really the snake just wants to be warm.

      Actually, I don't need them loose in my car, either; if they're not in a box or something, they'd have to be put in one or put out of the car. The water moccasins that came through my yard from the nearby creek when I lived in the country stayed out of my way and the cats' way, and kept the yard clear of gophers. When I worked in a recycling plant, it wasn't long before the rats and mice came in, attracted by the garbage that was mixed in with the recyclable cardboard, paper and plastic; and then the snakes came in after them. I minded the snakes less than the rodents, which chewed up everything in and out of sight and left their germ-laden droppings everywhere; as long as the poisonous species of snake stayed away from us, I was okay with them existing.

      Mark A. Holmes