Re: Fixed star alignments (August 24, 2008)

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2009

      http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Zosma.html

      > Leo II Dwarf Galaxy (UGC 6253 Leonis)
      >
      > *Alsuhail (Lambda Velorum)

      Arabic = the handsome one, the noble one, the brilliant one, the one at ease

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suhail

      > Uranus
      >

      > *SS Cygni (cataclysmic variable)

      having to do with ships, or Social Security, or Nazi-like or having to do with Nazis (SS)

      > q1 Eridani (has a planet)
      >
      > Simmah (Gamma Piscium)
      >
      > Solarium (Beta Reticuli; marks what once was the now-obsolete constellation
      > Solarium [the Sundial])
      >

      > Neptune
      >

      > Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
      >
      > Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)
      >
      > Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)
      >
      > Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)
      >
      > Al Faras Al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)
      >
      > Gruid (Beta Gruis)
      >
      > Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)
      >
      > VW Hydri (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Polophylax (Zeta Tucanae; marks the obsolete constellation Polophylax the Pole
      > Guard)
      >
      > TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > Pluto
      >

      > Etamin (Gamma Draconis)
      >
      > Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)
      >
      > Baraka (Xi Herculis)
      >
      > AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > *RS Ophiuchi (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; aka Munich 15040)
      >
      > Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Reynolds' Star (G1.9+0.3 Sagittarii, a very recent [1878] supernova discovered
      > by Stephen Reynolds, et al)
      >
      > Integral X-ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)
      >
      > *Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)

      to be in a box and not know it?

      > Apollyon (Iota Scorpii)
      >
      > Basanismus (G Scorpii)
      >
      > Acumen (M-7 Scorpii; an open cluster, aka Ptolemy's Cluster)
      >

      > Eris
      >

      > Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)
      >
      > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)
      >

      > Ceres
      >

      > *Tegmine (Zeta Cancri)

      Arabic = shelter, hiding place

      > *Ahadi (Pi Puppis)

      Swahili = with much promise, a promise (to be kept through your own efforts)

      > *Rotten Egg Nebula (OH231.8+4.2 Puppis)

      to smell (like rotten eggs)

      > Pallas
      >

      > *Tarandus (49 Cassiopeiae; marks the obsolete constellation Tarandus the Reindeer)
      >
      > *The Little Queen (Harrington STAR 25 Draconis; a small asterism that looks somewhat like the W pattern in Cassiopeia)
      >
      > *Adid Australis (Epsilon Persei)
      >
      > *Kapteyn's Star (VZ Pictoris)
      >
      > *Secunda Hyadum (Delta-1 Tauri)
      >
      > *Kleeia (Delta-3 Tauri)
      >
      > *Phaeo (Theta-1 Tauri)
      >
      > *Phaesyla (Theta-2 Tauri)

      these last four are members of the Hyades

      > *Crystal Ball Nebula (NGC 1514 Tauri)

      trying to determine the future

      http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Almach.html

      > *Koleon (Mu Arietis)

      Greek = sheath, scabbard, belly

      > *Vespa (30 Arietis; marks the obsolete constellation Vespa the Wasp)
      >
      > *WX Arietis (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > *Cih (Gamma Cassiopeiae)

      Chinese = whip

      http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Menkar.html

      > *Black Hole Binary (3C75 Ceti)
      >
      > *Zibal (Zeta Eridani)

      Arabic = the ostrich's nest, the hatching place

      > Chiron
      >

      > *Marakk (Zeta Capricorni)

      Arabic = loins (of the goat)

      (randy?)

      > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
      >
      > Al Salib (Delta Delphini)
      >
      > Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)
      >
      > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
      >
      > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148 and 5150 Gruis)
      >
      > Tien Tsien (Iota Puppis)
      >
      > *EF Tucanae (cataclysmic variable)

      when someone talks, people listen

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2010
        --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Mark Andrew Holmes <mahtezcatpoc@...> wrote:

        > As of midnight GMT.
        >
        > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today (with a 1 00'
        > orb).
        >

        > Jupiter
        >

        > Nova Aquilae 1918 (V603 Aquilae)
        >
        > Shrichakra (Gamma Coronae Australis)

        Sanskrit = wheel of fortune

        > Kalachakra (Delta Coronae Australis)

        Sanskrit = wheel of time

        > Ascella (Zeta Sagittarii)
        >
        > Ain al Rami (Nu Sagittarii)

        Arabic = eye of the archer

        > Nunki (Sigma Sagittarii)
        >
        > Tien Pien (Beta Scuti)

        Chinese = heavenly casque

        > Wild Duck Cluster (M-51 Scuti, an open cluster)
        >

        > Saturn
        >

        > Theta Antliae

        I gave this one the name Solinas (Greek for "tube") on account of its position in Antlia (the Air Pump)

        > M-106 (Canum Venaticorum; galaxy with suspected black hole near 3 Canum
        > Venaticorum)
        >
        > *Zosma (Delta Leonis)
        >
        > Leo II Dwarf Galaxy (UGC 6253 Leonis)
        >
        > *Alsuhail (Lambda Velorum)
        >

        > Uranus
        >

        > *SS Cygni (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > q1 Eridani (has a planet)
        >
        > Simmah (Gamma Piscium)

        Babylonian = the goddess Simmah, who, according to legend, found and raised the infant queen Semiramis

        > Solarium (Beta Reticuli; marks what once was the now-obsolete constellation
        > Solarium [the Sundial])
        >

        > Neptune
        >

        > Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
        >
        > Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)
        >
        > Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)
        >
        > Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)
        >
        > Al Faras Al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)

        Arabic = the second horse

        > Gruid (Beta Gruis)

        Latin = like a crane

        > Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)
        >
        > VW Hydri (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Polophylax (Zeta Tucanae; marks the obsolete constellation Polophylax the Pole
        > Guard)
        >
        > TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)
        >

        > Pluto
        >

        > Etamin (Gamma Draconis)
        >
        > Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)
        >
        > Baraka (Xi Herculis)
        >
        > AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > *RS Ophiuchi (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; aka Munich 15040)
        >
        > Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Reynolds' Star (G1.9+0.3 Sagittarii, a very recent [1878] supernova discovered
        > by Stephen Reynolds, et al)
        >
        > Integral X-ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)
        >
        > *Box Nebula (NGC 6445 Sagittarii)
        >
        > Apollyon (Iota Scorpii)
        >
        > Basanismus (G Scorpii)
        >
        > Acumen (M-7 Scorpii; an open cluster, aka Ptolemy's Cluster)
        >

        > Eris
        >

        > Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)
        >
        > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)
        >

        > Ceres
        >

        > *Tegmine (Zeta Cancri)
        >
        > *Ahadi (Pi Puppis)
        >
        > *Rotten Egg Nebula (OH231.8+4.2 Puppis)
        >

        > Pallas
        >

        > *Tarandus (49 Cassiopeiae; marks the obsolete constellation Tarandus the Reindeer)
        >
        > *The Little Queen (Harrington STAR 25 Draconis; a small asterism that looks somewhat like the W pattern in Cassiopeia)
        >
        > *Adid Australis (Epsilon Persei)
        >
        > *Kapteyn's Star (VZ Pictoris)
        >
        > *Secunda Hyadum (Delta-1 Tauri)
        >
        > *Kleeia (Delta-3 Tauri)
        >
        > *Phaeo (Theta-1 Tauri)
        >
        > *Phaesyla (Theta-2 Tauri)
        >
        > *Crystal Ball Nebula (NGC 1514 Tauri)
        >
        > *Struve's Lost Nebula (NGC 1554 Tauri)
        >
        > *Hind's Variable Nebula (NGC 1555 Tauri)
        >

        > Juno
        >

        > Lucida Apodis (Alpha Apodis; the brightest star, or lucida, in Apus the Bird of
        > Paradise)

        I gave this one the name Cendrawasi (Indonesian for bird of paradise).

        > RR Chamaeleontis (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > Sarin (Delta Herculis)
        >
        > *Wei (Epsilon Scorpii)
        >
        > Great Attractor (Abell 3627 Trianguli Australe)
        >

        > Vesta
        >

        > *Almach (Gamma Andromedae)
        >
        > *Koleon (Mu Arietis)

        Coptic = belly, scabbard

        > *Vespa (30 Arietis; marks the obsolete constellation Vespa the Wasp)
        >
        > *WX Arietis (cataclysmic variable)
        >
        > *Cih (Gamma Cassiopeiae)
        >
        > *Menkar (Alpha Ceti)
        >
        > *Black Hole Binary (3C75 Ceti)
        >
        > *Zibal (Zeta Eridani)
        >

        > Chiron
        >

        > *Marakk (Zeta Capricorni)
        >
        > Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)
        >
        > Al Salib (Delta Delphini)

        Arabic = the cross

        > Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)

        Latin = young mule

        > Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)
        >
        > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148 and 5150 Gruis)
        >
        > Tien Tsien (Iota Puppis)

        Chinese = heavenly cash