Re: Fixed star alignments (August 3, 2008)

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2009

      > As of midnight GMT.
      >
      > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today
      (with a 1 00'
      > orb).
      >

      > Jupiter
      >

      > *Alfecca Meridiana (Alpha Coronae Australis)

      Arabic-Latin = the broken one on the meridian (?)

      > *Myrtus (Beta Coronae Australis)

      smelling sweet, lovely

      > *Shrichakra (Gamma Coronae Australis)

      symbolizing wealth and prosperity

      > *Kalachakra (Delta Coronae Australis)

      time marches on

      > *M-105 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole)
      >
      > *NGC 3377 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole)
      >
      > Vega (Alpha Lyrae)
      >
      > *Ascella (Zeta Sagittarii)
      >
      > Manubrium (Omicron Sagittarii)
      >
      > Hecatebolus (Tau Sagittarii)
      >
      > *Coddington Nebula (IC 2574 Ursae Majoris)
      >

      > Saturn
      >

      > Thuban (Alpha Draconis)
      >
      > NGC 3377 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole)
      >
      > SW Sextantis (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Alula Australe (Xi Ursae Majoris; has a planet)
      >
      > CU Velorum (cataclysmic variable)
      >

      > Uranus
      >

      > Fetus Nebula (NGC 7008 Cygni)
      >
      > Simmah (Gamma Piscium)
      >
      > Solarium (Beta Reticuli; marks what once was the now-obsolete
      constellation
      > Solarium [the Sundial])
      >

      > Neptune
      >

      > Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)
      >
      > Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)
      >
      > Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)
      >
      > Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)
      >
      > Al Faras Al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)
      >
      > *Gruid (Beta Gruis)

      Latin = like a crane

      > Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)
      >
      > *VW Hydri (cataclysmic variable)

      a humble conveyance

      > Polophylax (Zeta Tucanae; marks the obsolete constellation
      Polophylax the Pole
      > Guard)
      >

      > Pluto
      >

      > Etamin (Gamma Draconis)
      >
      > Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)
      >
      > Baraka (Xi Herculis)
      >
      > AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; aka Munich 15040)
      >
      > Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Reynolds' Star (G1.9+0.3 Sagittarii, a very recent [1878] supernova
      discovered
      > by Stephen Reynolds, et al)
      >
      > *Integral X-ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)
      >
      > Basanismus (G Scorpii)
      >
      > Acumen (M-7 Scorpii; an open cluster, aka Ptolemy's Cluster)
      >

      > Eris
      >

      > Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)
      >
      > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)
      >

      > Ceres
      >

      > *Wezen (Delta Canis Majoris)

      Arabic = weight

      > *Thor's Helmet (NGC 2359 Canis Majoris; nebula)

      seeming invulnerable?

      > *Gomeisa (Beta Canis Minoris)

      Arabic = little bleary-eyed one

      > *Luyten's Star (GJ 273 Canis Minoris)
      >
      > *BG Canis Minoris (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

      the Bee Gees (famous for light pop)?

      > *Pollux (Beta Geminorum)
      >
      > *NGC 2420 (Geminorum; open cluster mentioned by the late Byron Wahl)
      >
      > *Medusa Nebula (Abell 21 Geminorum)

      horrifying, turning to stone

      > *Muscida (Omicron Ursae Majoris)

      Arabic = muzzle

      > Pallas
      >

      > *Alrai (Gamma Cephei; has planets)
      >
      > *Beid (Omicron-1 Eridani)

      Arabic = eggs

      > *Keid (Omicron-2 Eridani; aka 40 Eridani--Mr. Spock's home star
      system)

      Arabic = eggshells

      > *Theemin (Upsilon-2 Eridani)
      >
      > *IM Eridani (cataclysmic variable)

      "I am", instant messaging, instant messages?

      > *Cleopatra's Eye Nebula (NGC 1535 Eridani)

      > *Miram (Eta Persei)
      >
      > *Perseus A (NGC 1275 Persei; elongated galaxy, brightest in rich
      cluster, maser)

      > *Alcyone (Eta Tauri)
      >
      > *Furibundus (Nu Tauri)
      >
      > *Celaeno (16 Tauri)
      >
      > *Electra (17 Tauri)
      >
      > *Taygeta (19 Tauri)
      >
      > *Maia (20 Tauri)
      >
      > *Asterope (21 Tauri)
      >
      > *Merope (23 Tauri)
      >
      > *Atlas (27 Tauri)
      >
      > *Pleione (28 Tauri)
      >
      > (these stars of Taurus with Flamsteed numbers, together with
      Alcyone, are what we call the Pleiades)

      > Juno
      >

      > Lucida Apodis (Alpha Apodis; the brightest star, or lucida, in Apus
      the Bird of
      > Paradise)
      >
      > RR Chamaeleontis (cataclysmic variable)
      >
      > Sarin (Delta Herculis)
      >
      > Water Fountain Nebula (RAS 16342-3814 Scorpii)
      >
      > Great Attractor (Abell 3627 Trianguli Australe)
      >

      > Vesta
      >

      > *Keun Nan Mun Secundus (Chi Andromedae)
      >
      > *The Fath (NGC 708 Andromedae; elliptical galaxy)
      >
      > *Achird (Eta Cassiopeiae)
      >
      > *Pac-Man Nebula (NGC 281 Cassiopeiae)
      >
      > *Kaffaljidhma (Gamma Ceti)
      >
      > *Liberflux (Tau-4 Eridani)
      >
      > *Eridanus Supervoid (a region of intergalactic space in Eridanus
      with a striking deficiency of matter)