Web beacons

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2009
      Web beacons

      This was posted to another Yahoo group:

      Attention Group

      As part of our continuing efforts to serve our list-members we will pass
      along any general Yahoo Groups-related announcements that are of relevance
      to all of you such as the one below:

      Yahoo is Tracking Group Members

      If you belong to ANY Yahoo Groups - be aware that Yahoo is now using "Web
      Beacons" to track every Yahoo Group user. It's similar to cookies, but
      allows Yahoo to record every website and every group you visit, even when
      you're not connected to Yahoo. Look at their updated privacy statement at
      http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/details.html

      About half-way down the page, in the section on *cookies*, you will see a
      link that says *WEB BEACONS*.

      Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page that opens, on the left find
      a box entitled "Opt-Out."

      In that section find "opt-out of interest-matched advertising" link that
      will let you "opt-out" of their snooping. Click it and then click the
      opt-out button on the next page.

      Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy - and your ability to opt-out of
      it - is not user-specific. It is MACHINE specific. That means you will have
      to opt-out on every computer (and browser) you use.

      Please forward this to your other groups. You might complain, too, but I'm
      not sure if anyone is listening. I remember when they signed all users up to
      get spam and we had to opt out of that a few years ago.

      Related article:
      http://antivirus.about.com/od/spywareandadware/a/yahoobugs.htm

      Please pass this information to all of your groups...