Re: Yahoo! News Story - Found: The Dimmest Bulbs in Space - Yahoo! News

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2008
      --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Mark Holmes <mahtezcatpoc@...>
      wrote:

      > Mark Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
      > Personal message:
      >

      > Found: The Dimmest Bulbs in Space - Yahoo! News

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20081215/sc_space/foundthedimmestbulbsin
      space

      Found: The Dimmest Bulbs in Space

      SPACE.com Staff

      space.com – Mon Dec 15, 8:30 am ET AP –

      In this image provided by NASA shows a new image from NASA's Spitzer
      Space Telescope showing a turbulent … A pair of failed stars takes
      the record of being the dimmest bulbs ever detected, astronomers
      find.

      Each of the substellar objects, called brown dwarfs, is one million
      times fainter than the sun in total light on the electromagnetic
      spectrum, and at least one billion times fainter in visible light
      alone.

      A brown dwarf is a compact ball of gas floating freely in space
      that's too cool and lightweight to generate the thermonuclear fusion
      that powers real stars, but too warm and massive to be considered a
      planet.

      "These brown dwarfs are the lowest-power stellar light bulbs in the
      sky that we know of," said lead researcher Adam Burgasser, a
      physicist at MIT.

      The findings were published in the Astrophysical Journal Letters on
      Dec. 10.

      Until now, astronomers thought this dim duo was a single, faint brown
      dwarf. Past research has shown the object is the fifth closest known
      brown dwarf to us, 17 light-years away toward the constellation
      Antlia. One light-year is the distance light will travel in a year,
      or about 6 trillion miles (10 trillion kilometers).

      Here's how the team found the singlet was actually twins: They
      observed the object in infrared light using NASA's Spitzer Space
      Telescope. The data showed that what was still thought to be a single
      object had a warm atmospheric temperature of 560 to 680 degrees
      Fahrenheit (293 to 360 degrees Celsius). While this is hundreds of
      degrees hotter than Jupiter, it's still downright cold as far as
      stars go.

      In fact, the brown dwarfs, called 2MASS J09393548-2448279, or 2M 0939
      for short, are among the coldest brown dwarfs measured so far.

      They also estimated the brightness, which they found to be twice what
      would be expected for a brown dwarf with its particular temperature.
      The solution: The object must have twice the surface area. So each
      body shines only half as bright, and each has a mass of 30 to 40
      times that of Jupiter.

      Burgasser said that studying these objects could help astronomers
      understand details of brown dwarf structure and evolution.

      The work was funded in part by a NASA grant.
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 15, 2008
        Right ascension 9h39m35.5s
        Declination -24 48 28"

        North of Theta Antliae near the Hydra border, where a hose might be
        if the Air Pump had one attached to it. (Theta Antliae marks the
        point where the hose would be attached to the pump.)

        I'm calling this one Tenebricissima (Latin for "the dimmest").

        Mark A. Holmes