Yahoo! News Story - Found: The Dimmest Bulbs in Space - Yahoo! News

  • Mark Holmes
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2008
      Mark Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
      (Email address has not been verified.)
      Personal message:

      Found: The Dimmest Bulbs in Space - Yahoo! News

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20081215/sc_space/foundthedimmestbulbsinspace

      Yahoo! News
      http://news.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 15, 2008
        --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Mark Holmes <mahtezcatpoc@...>
        wrote:

        > Mark Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
        > Personal message:
        >

        > Found: The Dimmest Bulbs in Space - Yahoo! News

        http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20081215/sc_space/foundthedimmestbulbsin
        space

        Found: The Dimmest Bulbs in Space

        SPACE.com Staff

        space.com – Mon Dec 15, 8:30 am ET AP –

        In this image provided by NASA shows a new image from NASA's Spitzer
        Space Telescope showing a turbulent … A pair of failed stars takes
        the record of being the dimmest bulbs ever detected, astronomers
        find.

        Each of the substellar objects, called brown dwarfs, is one million
        times fainter than the sun in total light on the electromagnetic
        spectrum, and at least one billion times fainter in visible light
        alone.

        A brown dwarf is a compact ball of gas floating freely in space
        that's too cool and lightweight to generate the thermonuclear fusion
        that powers real stars, but too warm and massive to be considered a
        planet.

        "These brown dwarfs are the lowest-power stellar light bulbs in the
        sky that we know of," said lead researcher Adam Burgasser, a
        physicist at MIT.

        The findings were published in the Astrophysical Journal Letters on
        Dec. 10.

        Until now, astronomers thought this dim duo was a single, faint brown
        dwarf. Past research has shown the object is the fifth closest known
        brown dwarf to us, 17 light-years away toward the constellation
        Antlia. One light-year is the distance light will travel in a year,
        or about 6 trillion miles (10 trillion kilometers).

        Here's how the team found the singlet was actually twins: They
        observed the object in infrared light using NASA's Spitzer Space
        Telescope. The data showed that what was still thought to be a single
        object had a warm atmospheric temperature of 560 to 680 degrees
        Fahrenheit (293 to 360 degrees Celsius). While this is hundreds of
        degrees hotter than Jupiter, it's still downright cold as far as
        stars go.

        In fact, the brown dwarfs, called 2MASS J09393548-2448279, or 2M 0939
        for short, are among the coldest brown dwarfs measured so far.

        They also estimated the brightness, which they found to be twice what
        would be expected for a brown dwarf with its particular temperature.
        The solution: The object must have twice the surface area. So each
        body shines only half as bright, and each has a mass of 30 to 40
        times that of Jupiter.

        Burgasser said that studying these objects could help astronomers
        understand details of brown dwarf structure and evolution.

        The work was funded in part by a NASA grant.
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 15, 2008
          Right ascension 9h39m35.5s
          Declination -24 48 28"

          North of Theta Antliae near the Hydra border, where a hose might be
          if the Air Pump had one attached to it. (Theta Antliae marks the
          point where the hose would be attached to the pump.)

          I'm calling this one Tenebricissima (Latin for "the dimmest").

          Mark A. Holmes