Re: Yahoo! News Story - Hubble telescope finds carbon dioxide on distant planet - Yahoo! News

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2008
      --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Mark Holmes <mahtezcatpoc@...>
      wrote:

      > Mark Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
      > Personal message:
      >

      > Hubble telescope finds carbon dioxide on distant planet - Yahoo!
      News

      > http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081209/sc_afp/usspacenasaplanetscience

      Hubble telescope finds carbon dioxide on distant planet

      Tue Dec 9, 6:38 pm ET AFP/NASA/ESA –

      WASHINGTON (AFP) – NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has discovered both
      carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide in the atmosphere of a distant
      planet, in a key step for finding extraterrestrial life, the space
      agency said Tuesday.

      Detecting organic compounds that can be a by-product of life
      processes on an Earth-like body could one day "provide the first
      evidence of life beyond our planet," NASA said in a statement.

      The discovery was made on a Jupiter-size planet 63 light years away
      from Earth that is too hot for life, and is all gas and liquid.

      "We're not closer to discovering life on this particular planet,"
      admitted Ray Villard of the Space Telescope Science Institute.

      "But it has the mix of chemistry that on the right planet could be a
      biotracer for life," he said.

      Scientists have studied the planet intensively, finding the organic
      molecule methane as well as water vapor, Villard added.

      The carbon dioxide and monoxide were detected by Mark Swain, a
      research scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California,
      using Hubble to study infrared light emitted from the planet.

      "The carbon dioxide is the main reason for the excitement because,
      under the right circumstances, it could have a connection to
      biological activity as it does on Earth," Swain said.

      "The very fact we are able to detect it and estimate its abundance is
      significant for the long-term effort of characterizing planets to
      find out what they are made of and if they could be a possible host
      for life."

      Launched 18 years ago, Hubble revolutionized astronomy with the
      ability to peer deep into the universe, beaming back dazzling images
      free of the distortions of Earth's atmosphere.

      Orbiting 575 kilometers (360 miles) above the ground, Hubble has
      enabled scientists to better measure the age and origin of the
      universe, observe distant supernovas, and identify and study bodies
      in and outside the solar system.

      A light year is the distance that light travels in a vacuum in one
      year, or approximately 5.88 trillion miles (9.46 trillion kilometers).
    • oparhi
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2008
        Maybe we'll find new friends there?

        with wintery christmas greetings

        Outi

        http://ophistars.multiply.com/journal

        --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "mahtezcatpoc" <mahtezcatpoc@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 2008
          --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, "oparhi" <scoppias@...> wrote:

          > Maybe we'll find new friends there?

          LOL

          > with wintery christmas greetings
          >
          > Outi

          Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/Seasons Greetings/Happy Winter
          Solstice to you.

          Mark A. Holmes