Hoover

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2008
      Hoover

      Thank you Mark, I'm glad you sent the full story about Hoover -
      that's why I didn't add the things Beth suggested, but I was too tired
      to explain...

      You're right, politics (apparently) ruined what had been a good man.

      Love, Diana

      Website: http://ye-stars.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 2008
        I have to look up the source, but I have 10 August 1874 at 23:12
        as birthdate/time for hoover. west branch iowa

        I think that a racism has ruined more than one otherwise good and
        decent person. Hoover risked his life to save chinese children in harms
        way during the boxer rebellion, fed hundreds of thousands of people in
        Europe in WWI, instituted unemployment and FDRs new deal was right out
        of hoovers own plans. it never ceases to amaze me that people can be
        racist, but certainly it shows in such instances as that greenville
        flood. Which I had not read about before.

        I suspect their will be something to show this dishonorable turn in his
        chart, but I still say he was a humanitarian. What could have changed
        or possibly happened to make him look aside when he had so bravely
        saved so many other people? that is what I'd like to know. Because a
        person who gives at the level he did, something had to happen to cause
        that. well my opinion anyway. quakers also are not usually racist so I
        find the whole event really odd.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 24, 2008
          Looks to me like he should have stayed out of politics. Politics back in the 1920s

[...]

          MissB

          --- In thefixedstars@ yahoogroups. com, "Diana K Rosenberg"

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 24, 2008

            > Looks to me like he should have stayed out of politics. Politics
            back in the 1920s

            was, like American society in general, unabashedly racist. The social
            programs Franklin Roosevelt put in may not have stopped the Great
            Depression, but they made the long economic slump easier for people
            to handle; plus, capitalism needs regulating, as FDR knew and
            numerous efforts at deregulation by free-market fundamentalists (most
            recently under Bush) have shown time and time again.

            (I hit the wrong key by mistake.)

            Mark A. Holmes