Asteroid over Sudan

  • Astrocalypse
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 7, 2008
      This news item seems to receive very little coverage and is happening in
      a few hours.

      Transiting Moon will be where Neptune was, at 21d Capricorn, and both
      have Jupiter Moon conjunction !

      http://africa.reuters.com/wire/news/usnN06458824.html

      Asteroid to burn up before hitting Earth

      Mon 6 Oct 2008, 20:31 GMT
      [- <javascript:sizeDown();>] Text <javascript:resetCurrentsize();> [+
      <javascript:sizeUp();>]

      WASHINGTON, Oct 6 (Reuters) - A tiny asteroid discovered earlier on
      Monday by an Arizona observatory will hit Earth's atmosphere over Sudan
      in a few hours but will burn up before it can hit the ground or endanger
      aircraft, astronomers said.

      The asteroid will create a large fireball at about 10:46 p.m. EDT (0246
      GMT on Tuesday) as it burns up, the team at the Harvard-Smithsonian
      Center for Astrophysics said.

      "We want to stress that this object is not a threat," said Dr. Timothy
      Spahr, director of the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet
      Center at Harvard in Massachusetts.

      "We're excited since this is the first time we have issued a prediction
      that an object will enter Earth's atmosphere," Spahr added in a statement.

      The asteroid, known as a meteoroid, is between 3 and 15 feet (1 metre to
      5 metres) in diameter.

      "A typical meteor comes from an object the size of a grain of sand,"
      said Gareth Williams of the Minor Planet Center. "This meteor will be a
      real humdinger in comparison."

      It will be visible from eastern Africa and will evaporate over Sudan,
      the scientists said.

      "We really hope that someone will manage to photograph it," said
      Williams. (Reporting by Maggie Fox, editing by Will Dunham and John
      O'Callaghan)
    • Astrocalypse
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 7, 2008
        Ooops, I edited out my reference to Shoemaker-Levy hitting Jupiter in 1994.

        That chart has Neptune at 21d and Moon-Jupiter in Scorpio. Tonight's
        chart will have Jupiter-Moon in Capricorn with a larger orbs.

        -------------------------------

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 7, 2008
          I went ahead and sent this over to the Centaurs2 list (forwarded the
          story and added your commentary in my own words).

          Mark A. Holmes

          --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Astrocalypse <astrocalypse@...>

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 7, 2008
            Just as well, I am feeling the full Mercury Rx effect.

            Am I a Centaurs2 member? Not sure if I ever joined since I had never
            seen any emails. May be I'll after Mercury goes direct.

            Counting days.
            ------------------------------

            mahtezcatpoc wrote:

            > I went ahead and sent this over to the Centaurs2 list (forwarded the
            > story and added your commentary in my own words).
            >
            > Mark A. Holmes

          • Astrocalypse
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 7, 2008
              btw, belated Happy Birthday, Mark.

              Many happy returns.
            • sisterbellabee@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 7, 2008
                This already happened this morning, the news reports of it hitting 'this morning' were posted yesterday:

                I'm rather surprised that there are not more reports of its explosion, though!

                Sincerely, Sherri

                New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out!
              • Astrocalypse
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 7, 2008
                  Thanks for the correction, Sherri. It is surprising that astronomers
                  only saw it as the asteroid approached the earth.

                  My nodes are on 21d cardinal. Looking back, Jupiter being hit was a
                  MAJOR event for my chart but then comet has a reputation of being bad
                  news. I wonder what this event entails.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 7, 2008
                    wrote:

                    > Just as well, I am feeling the full Mercury Rx effect.
                    >
                    > Am I a Centaurs2 member? Not sure if I ever joined since I had never
                    > seen any emails. May be I'll after Mercury goes direct.
                    >
                    > Counting days.

                    It doesn't look like you're a Centaurs2 member, but you're welcome to
                    join. I had to change it from an open group to a restricted one some
                    time ago to stop spammers from joining. Just put something in the
                    textbox so I'll know it's you.

                    Mark A. Holmes

                    > mahtezcatpoc wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I went ahead and sent this over to the Centaurs2 list (forwarded the
                    > > story and added your commentary in my own words).
                    > >
                    > > Mark A. Holmes

                  • Astrocalypse
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 7, 2008
                      Oki doh.
                      ---------------------

                    • sisterbellabee@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 7, 2008
                        In a message dated 10/7/2008 4:20:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time, astrocalypse@... writes:
                        My nodes are on 21d cardinal. Looking back, Jupiter being hit was a
                        MAJOR event for my chart but then comet has a reputation of being bad
                        news. I wonder what this event entails.

                        Hmm, I wonder.  We had a meteor here in Oregon February 19 2008, 5:30 am PT

                        I did not hear or see it myself, wish I had!  Interesting that 20-some Capricorn was rising around the time of the the February meteor.

                        I checked my calendar and email box, personally it was a busy time, and we were right between eclipses so I'm not sure how to sort one from the other.  I noticed that Obama won the Wisconsin primary that day, was writing back and forth about his speech, a very big turning point for his campaign.  He sure got a big reception thereafter here in Oregon, that was on May 18th.  It was events like that that really gave him momentum through the primaries.

                        Oh well, that's all I can think of, at the moment!

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 7, 2008

                          _http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/02/080221-oregon-meteor.html_

                          (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/02/080221-oregon-meteor.html)

                          > _http://www.kgw.com/video/video-index.html?nvid=219697_
                          > (http://www.kgw.com/video/video-index.html?nvid=219697)
                          >
                          > I did not hear or see it myself, wish I had! Interesting that 20-some
                          > Capricorn was rising around the time of the the February meteor.

                          > I checked my calendar and email box, personally it was a busy time,
                          and we
                          > were right between eclipses so I'm not sure how to sort one from the
                          other. I
                          > noticed that Obama won the Wisconsin primary that day, was writing
                          back and
                          > forth about his speech, a very big turning point for his campaign.
                          He sure
                          > got a big reception thereafter here in Oregon, that was on May
                          18th. It was
                          > events like that that really gave him momentum through the primaries.

                          Deneb Okab (Zeta Aquilae) is at 19 Capricorn 55. Obama kind of "took
                          command" (Deneb Okab) around that time, huh?

                          Mark A. Holmes
                        • oparhi
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 9, 2008
                            I tried to figure out the place where it happened, and think it is
                            somewhere about Al Bahr al Ahmar, nearest town maybe Hayya in the map,
                            because it has not been seen in Khartoum by S&T and Spacewatch, and it
                            was located according to information between Khartoum and Mecca about
                            300 miles from each, and happened at 02.43 UT.

                            Link: http://www.space.com/spacewatch/081008-asteroid-exploded.html

                            Outi

                            wrote:

                            > This news item seems to receive very little coverage and is
                            happening in
                            > a few hours.
                            >
                            > Transiting Moon will be where Neptune was, at 21d Capricorn, and both
                            > have Jupiter Moon conjunction !
                            >
                            > http://africa.reuters.com/wire/news/usnN06458824.html
                            >

                            > Asteroid to burn up before hitting Earth
                            >
                            > Mon 6 Oct 2008, 20:31 GMT
                            > [- <javascript:sizeDown();>] Text <javascript:resetCurrentsize();> [+
                            > <javascript:sizeUp();>]
                            >
                            > WASHINGTON, Oct 6 (Reuters) - A tiny asteroid discovered earlier on
                            > Monday by an Arizona observatory will hit Earth's atmosphere over Sudan
                            > in a few hours but will burn up before it can hit the ground or
                            endanger
                            > aircraft, astronomers said.
                            >
                            > The asteroid will create a large fireball at about 10:46 p.m. EDT (0246
                            > GMT on Tuesday) as it burns up, the team at the Harvard-Smithsonian
                            > Center for Astrophysics said.
                            >
                            > "We want to stress that this object is not a threat," said Dr. Timothy
                            > Spahr, director of the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet
                            > Center at Harvard in Massachusetts.
                            >
                            > "We're excited since this is the first time we have issued a prediction
                            > that an object will enter Earth's atmosphere," Spahr added in a
                            statement.

                            > The asteroid, known as a meteoroid, is between 3 and 15 feet (1
                            metre to
                            > 5 metres) in diameter.
                            >
                            > "A typical meteor comes from an object the size of a grain of sand,"
                            > said Gareth Williams of the Minor Planet Center. "This meteor will be a
                            > real humdinger in comparison."
                            >
                            > It will be visible from eastern Africa and will evaporate over Sudan,
                            > the scientists said.
                            >
                            > "We really hope that someone will manage to photograph it," said
                            > Williams. (Reporting by Maggie Fox, editing by Will Dunham and John
                            > O'Callaghan)

                          • oparhi
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 9, 2008
                              I was looking for news in Sudan, the only one that caught my eye was this Reuter's news
                              of 7 Oct, that happened in South Sudan:

                              "More than 35 young women wearing tight trousers were arrested in South Sudan for
                              disturbing the peace, senior police officials said on Tuesday. The arrests in Juba, the
                              capital of semiautonomous South Sudan, were part of a campaign against youth gangs,
                              the authorities said. The women were arrested on Sunday night but were released without
                              charge on Monday. Many Juba residents reacted angrily to the arrests. "We saw about 30
                              girls in two trucks piled up like animals," said Nok Duany, a civil servant."

                              Well, that sounds like Venus and Mars in Scorpio. Pluto anyway is in 28 Sagittarius and at
                              the time given for the explosion maybe at the bottom of the chart with the Part of Spirit
                              (night). Sun conjoining asteroid Eros.. . The asteroid Proserpina is in 3 Libra near Asc in
                              the chart I made for Ad-Damir. And maybe asteroid Siwa conjoining Mars in Scorpio has
                              something to do with it.

                              Anyway more news on that:
                              http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081008/wl_nm/us_sudan_south_trousers_2;_ylt=AjfN8t
                              COyjwMNsdJ_u7wnv0ShIMA

                              Sudan in news today: http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20081009/ts_csm/owhatpeace_1

                              Outi

                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 9, 2008
                                How about Juno aligned with Rasalhague (Alpha Ophiuchi), too?

                                According to Vivian Robson: "[Rasalhague] gives misfortune through women, perverted tastes and mental depravity."

                                Also, Sun and Mercury were aligned with Algorab (Delta Corvi) on that day: "Delays and restraint are indicated to come about by fiascoes, losses, wrong handling of matters and enmity in general. Accidents or injuries, difficult to avoid." (Ebertin)

                                Mark A. Holmes

                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 9, 2008
                                  Thank you.

                                  Mark A. Holmes

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 12, 2008
                                    sisterbellabee@... wrote:
                                    > We had a meteor here in Oregon February 19 2008, 5:30 am PT
                                    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/02/080221-oregon-meteor.html
                                    <http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/02/080221-oregon-meteor.html>

                                    The SD Mercury in Feb is in exact trine to the about to go direct
                                    transiting Mercury.

                                    I am not sure where I am going with this but relocating the chart to
                                    North Dakota, the MC/IC shares the same axis with the 9/11/07 lunar
                                    eclipse energy...

                                    ------------------------------------

                                    US February Deaths (Source: Wikipedia)
                                    -----------------------------
                                    21st Feb

                                    * Evan Mecham, 83, American Governor of Arizona (1987–1988).
                                    * *Matthew Mechtel, 39, American candidate for the U.S. House from
                                    North Dakota, apparent suicide by gunshot. *
                                    * Robin Moore, 82, American author (The French Connection, The Green
                                    Berets).

                                    20th Feb

                                    * Mary Elizabeth Carnegie, 91, American nurse, cardiovascular disease.
                                    * Larry Davis, 41, American convicted murderer, stabbed.
                                    * Bobby Lee Trammell, 74, American rockabilly singer, Arkansas
                                    Representative (1997–2002).

                                    19th Feb

                                    * Eugene Freedman, 82, American figurine creator
                                    * Bob Howsam, 89, American sports executive (Denver Broncos,
                                    Cincinnati Reds), heart condition.
                                    * Teo Macero, 82, American record producer and saxophonist.

                                    18th Feb

                                    * Grits Gresham, 85, American conservationist, sportsman, and actor,
                                    complication of infection and pneumonia.
                                    * Jim Jones, 57, American rock guitarist (Pere Ubu), heart attack.
                                    * Raymond Kennedy, 73, American novelist, complications of a stroke.
                                    * Ralph Peck, 95, American civil engineer.
                                    * Raymond J. Smith, 77, American editor, complications of pneumonia.

                                    [