Fixed star alignments (August 17, 2008)

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 19, 2008
      As of midnight GMT.

      Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today (with a 1 00'
      orb).

      Jupiter

      Nova Aquilae 1918 (V603 Aquilae)

      Alfecca Meridiana (Alpha Coronae Australis)

      Myrtus (Beta Coronae Australis)

      Shrichakra (Gamma Coronae Australis)

      Kalachakra (Delta Coronae Australis)

      Ascella (Zeta Sagittarii)

      *Ain al Rami (Nu Sagittarii)

      *Nunki (Sigma Sagittarii)

      *Tien Pien (Beta Scuti)

      Wild Duck Cluster (M-51 Scuti, an open cluster)

      Saturn

      *Theta Antliae

      *M-106 (Canum Venaticorum; galaxy with suspected black hole near 3 Canum Venaticorum)

      M-105 (Leonis; galaxy with suspected black hole between 52 and 53 Leonis)

      *Leo II Dwarf Galaxy (UGC 6253 Leonis)

      Alioth (Epsilon Ursae Majoris)

      Coddington Nebula (IC 2574 Ursae Majoris; diffuse nebula)

      Uranus

      q1 Eridani (has a planet)

      Simmah (Gamma Piscium)

      Solarium (Beta Reticuli; marks what once was the now-obsolete constellation
      Solarium [the Sundial])

      Neptune

      Sadalsuud (Beta Aquarii)

      *Nashira (Gamma Capricorni)

      Deneb Algedi (Delta Capricorni)

      Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)

      Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)

      Al Faras Al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)

      Gruid (Beta Gruis)

      Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)

      VW Hydri (cataclysmic variable)

      Polophylax (Zeta Tucanae; marks the obsolete constellation Polophylax the Pole
      Guard)

      TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

      Pluto

      Etamin (Gamma Draconis)

      Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)

      Baraka (Xi Herculis)

      AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)

      Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; aka Munich 15040)

      Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)

      Reynolds' Star (G1.9+0.3 Sagittarii, a very recent [1878] supernova discovered
      by Stephen Reynolds, et al)

      Integral X-ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)

      *Apollyon (Iota Scorpii)

      Basanismus (G Scorpii)

      Acumen (M-7 Scorpii; an open cluster, aka Ptolemy's Cluster)

      Eris

      Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)

      VV Cephei (cataclysmic variable)

      Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)

      Ceres

      *Aludra (Eta Canis Majoris)

      *Al Taleban (Tau Puppis)

      *EZ Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

      *Bode's Galaxy (M-81 Ursae Majoris)

      *Starburst Galaxy (M-82 Ursae Majoris)

      *Helix Galaxy (NGC 2685 Ursae Majoris)

      Pallas

      *Pazmino's Cluster (Stock 23 Camelopardalis)

      *Sceptrum (53 Eridani; the chief star of the obsolete constellation Sceptrum Brandenburgicum [the Scepter of Brandenburg])

      *Adid Borealis (Delta Persei)

      *Adid Media (Nu Persei)

      *Menchib (Xi Persei)

      *Seif Australis (Psi Persei)

      *California Nebula (NGC 1499 Persei; diffuse nebula)

      *Kattupothu (Mu Tauri)

      Juno

      Lucida Apodis (Alpha Apodis; the brightest star, or lucida, in Apus the Bird of
      Paradise)

      RR Chamaeleontis (cataclysmic variable)

      Sarin (Delta Herculis)

      Water Fountain Nebula (RAS 16342-3814 Scorpii)

      Great Attractor (Abell 3627 Trianguli Australe)

      Vesta

      *Anfal (51 Andromedae)

      *WX Arietis (cataclysmic variable)

      Comet Planetary (nebula; NGC 1350 Fornacis)

      Deltotron (Beta Trianguli)

      Chiron

      *Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)

      Al Salib (Delta Delphini)

      HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)

      Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)

      *Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)

      Ras Alkurki (Lambda Gruis)

      Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148 and 5150 Gruis)

      *Tien Tsien (Iota Puppis)

      QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

      North Node

      Al Ukud (Gamma Delphini)

      Al Salib (Delta Delphini)

      HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)

      Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)

      Ras Alkurki (Lambda Gruis)

      Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148 and 5150 Gruis)

      QU Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)

      South Node

      NGC 2775 (Cancri; a galaxy)

      Outcast Star (SDSS J090745.0+024507 Hydrae; is leaving the galaxy at a high
      rate of speed)

      Alterf (Lambda Leonis)

      NGC 2903 (Leonis; galaxy, said to be a malefic influence by the late Byron
      Wahl)

      RR Pictoris (cataclysmic variable)

      Naos (Zeta Puppis)

      CP Puppis (cataclysmic variable)

      Merak (Beta Ursae Majoris)

    • Astrocalypse
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 30, 2008

        Cosmic crash reveals dark matter
        By Paul Rincon
        Science reporter, BBC News

        *Striking evidence has been found for the enigmatic "stuff" called dark
        matter which makes up 23% of the Universe, yet is invisible to our eyes. *

        The results come from astronomical observations of a titanic collision
        between two clusters of galaxies 5.7 billion light-years away.

        Astronomers detected the dark matter because it separated from the
        normal matter during the cosmic smash-up.

        The research team are to publish their findings in the Astrophysical
        Journal.

        They used the Hubble and Chandra space telescopes to study the object
        MACSJ0025.4-1222 - formed after an incredibly energetic collision
        between two large galaxy clusters.

        Each of these large clusters contains about a quadrillion times the mass
        of our Sun.

        * It puts to rest all the worries that the Bullet Cluster was an
        anomalous case. We have gone out and found another one *
        Richard Massey, Royal Observatory Edinburgh

        A technique known as gravitational lensing was used to map the dark
        matter with Hubble.

        If an observer looks at a distant galaxy and some dark matter lies in
        between, the light from that galaxy gets distorted.

        It looks as if it is being seen through lots of little lenses. And each
        of these lenses represents a piece of dark matter.

        Astronomers used the Chandra X-ray telescope to map ordinary matter in
        the merging clusters, mostly in the form of hot gas, which glows
        brightly in X-rays.

        As the two clusters that formed MACSJ0025 merged at speeds of millions
        of kilometres per hour, hot gas in the two clusters collided and slowed
        down.

        However, the dark matter kept on going, passing right through the smash-up.

        * Speeding bullet *

        This phenomenon has been seen before, in a structure called the Bullet
        Cluster - which also formed after the collision of two large galaxy
        clusters. The Bullet Cluster lies closer to Earth, at a distance of 3.4
        billion light-years.

        "It puts to rest all the worries that the Bullet Cluster was an
        anomalous case. We have gone out and found another one," co-author
        Richard Massey, from the Royal Observatory Edinburgh, told BBC News.

        The study sheds light on the properties of dark matter.

        The fact that dark matter does not slow down in the collision supports a
        view that dark matter particles interact with each other only very
        weakly or not at all (when one excludes their gravitational interaction).

        "Dark matter makes up five times more matter in the Universe than
        ordinary matter," said co-author Marusa Bradac, from the University of
        California at Santa Barbara (UCSB).

        "This study confirms that we are dealing with a very different kind of
        matter, unlike the matter that we are made of. And we're able to study
        it in a very powerful collision of two clusters of galaxies."

        * Larger sample *

        The latest astronomical observations suggest that dark matter makes up
        some 23% of the Universe. Ordinary matter - such as the galaxies, gas,
        stars and planets - makes up just 4%.

        The remaining 73% is made up of another mysterious quantity; dark
        energy, which is responsible for speeding up the expansion of the cosmos.

        According to one model, dark matter may be comprised of exotic
        sub-atomic "stuff" known as Weakly Interacting Massive Particles (WIMPS).

        Others hold that the dark substance consists of everyday matter, rather
        than some elusive sub-atomic particle. However, this ordinary matter,
        referred to as Massive Astrophysical Compact Halo Objects (MACHOS),
        happens to radiate little or no light.

        A powerful physics experiment, the Large Hadron Collider, which is
        currently under construction on the French-Swiss border, could shed
        further light on this question after it begins operating later this year.

        Dr Massey said his team had found other candidates for colliding clusters.

        "Ideally, we don't want just one or two, we want lots of these things
        and really study them statistically," he explained.

        "Then we either use the whole lot, or pick out one 'golden bullet' which
        will provide the best constraints on what dark matter is."

        The Hubble Space Telescope failed just after the team had taken their
        image of MACSJ0025, so they have not yet been able to study these other
        candidates.

        Dr Massey said the astronomers hope to do this after the next Hubble
        servicing mission with the space shuttle, which is due to launch in
        October 2008.

        / Paul.Rincon-INTERNET@... / <mailto:Paul.Rincon-INTERNET@...>

        Story from BBC NEWS:
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/sci/tech/7587090.stm

        Published: 2008/08/30 07:29:21 GMT

        © BBC MMVIII
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2009
          --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, Mark Andrew Holmes <mahtezcatpoc@...> wrote:

          > As of midnight GMT.
          >
          > Asterisks indicate alignments that weren't there a week ago today (with a 1 00'
          > orb).
          >

          > Jupiter
          >

          > Nova Aquilae 1918 (V603 Aquilae)
          >
          > Alfecca Meridiana (Alpha Coronae Australis)
          >
          > Myrtus (Beta Coronae Australis)
          >
          > Shrichakra (Gamma Coronae Australis)
          >
          > Kalachakra (Delta Coronae Australis)
          >
          > Ascella (Zeta Sagittarii)
          >
          > *Ain al Rami (Nu Sagittarii)

          Arabic = eye of the archer

          http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Nunki.html

          > *Tien Pien (Beta Scuti)

          Chinese = heavenly casket

          http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Nashira.html

          http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/DenebAlgedi.html

          > Blinking Planetary (NGC 6826 Cygni)
          >
          > Kitalpha (Alpha Equulei)
          >
          > Al Faras Al Awwal (Gamma Equulei)
          >
          > Gruid (Beta Gruis)
          >
          > Tau-1 Gruis (has planets)
          >
          > VW Hydri (cataclysmic variable)
          >
          > Polophylax (Zeta Tucanae; marks the obsolete constellation Polophylax the Pole
          > Guard)
          >
          > TY Vulpeculae (cataclysmic variable)
          >

          > Pluto
          >

          > Etamin (Gamma Draconis)
          >
          > Rukbalgethi Genubi (Theta Herculis)
          >
          > Baraka (Xi Herculis)
          >
          > AH Mensae (cataclysmic variable)
          >
          > Barnard's Star (V2500 Ophiuchi; aka Munich 15040)
          >
          > Sakurai's Object (V4334 Sagittarii)
          >
          > Reynolds' Star (G1.9+0.3 Sagittarii, a very recent [1878] supernova discovered
          > by Stephen Reynolds, et al)
          >
          > Integral X-ray Nova 2006 (IGR J17497-2821 Sagittarii)
          >
          > *Apollyon (Iota Scorpii)

          Greek = destroyer

          > Basanismus (G Scorpii)
          >
          > Acumen (M-7 Scorpii; an open cluster, aka Ptolemy's Cluster)
          >

          > Eris
          >

          > Saderazra (Delta Andromedae)
          >
          > VV Cephei (cataclysmic variable)
          >
          > Baten Kaitos (Zeta Ceti)
          >

          > Ceres
          >

          > *Aludra (Eta Canis Majoris)

          Arabic = the virgins

          http://www.constellationsofwords.com/stars/Aludra.html

          > *Al Taleban (Tau Puppis)

          Arabic = the (religious) students

          > *EZ Ursae Majoris (cataclysmic variable aka nova)

          easy, wanting it easy

          > *Bode's Galaxy (M-81 Ursae Majoris)
          >
          > *Starburst Galaxy (M-82 Ursae Majoris)

          coming on explosively or meteorically

          > *Helix Galaxy (NGC 2685 Ursae Majoris)

          having to do with DNA?

          > Pallas
          >

          > *Pazmino's Cluster (Stock 23 Camelopardalis)
          >
          > *Sceptrum (53 Eridani; the chief star of the obsolete constellation Sceptrum Brandenburgicum [the Scepter of Brandenburg])
          >
          > *Adid Borealis (Delta Persei)
          >
          > *Adid Media (Nu Persei)
          >
          > *Menchib (Xi Persei)
          >
          > *Seif Australis (Psi Persei)
          >
          > *California Nebula (NGC 1499 Persei; diffuse nebula)

          having to do with California (or not seeing something very well in California)

          > *Kattupothu (Mu Tauri)

          Malayalam = wild buffalo

          > Juno
          >

          > Lucida Apodis (Alpha Apodis; the brightest star, or lucida, in Apus the Bird of
          > Paradise)
          >
          > RR Chamaeleontis (cataclysmic variable)
          >
          > Sarin (Delta Herculis)
          >
          > Water Fountain Nebula (RAS 16342-3814 Scorpii)
          >
          > Great Attractor (Abell 3627 Trianguli Australe)
          >

          > Vesta
          >

          > *Anfal (51 Andromedae)
          >
          > *WX Arietis (cataclysmic variable)
          >
          > Comet Planetary (nebula; NGC 1350 Fornacis)
          >
          > Deltotron (Beta Trianguli)
          >

          > Chiron
          >

          > *Sualocin (Alpha Delphini)

          slippery, teasing, attractive, shy

          > Al Salib (Delta Delphini)
          >
          > HR Delphini (cataclysmic variable)
          >
          > Hinnulus (Epsilon Equulei)
          >
          > *Aldhanab (Gamma Gruis)

          grabbing the brass ring

          > Ras Alkurki (Lambda Gruis)

          Arabic = the crane's head

          (rubbernecking)

          > Ghost-Ring Nebula (IC 5148 and 5150 Gruis)
          >
          > *Tien Tsien (Iota Puppis)

          Chinese = heavenly cash