Saros Series

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2008
      And while I'm mentally affected by I have another question because I am
      having fun looking for answer!

      is the lunar eclipse that follows a solar eclipse in the same saros
      series, for instance, Lunar eclipse occurs on 16th, is it also a 10
      Saros South Eclipse or does it belong to its own seperate series...

      I'm still looking through my brady book trying ot find where that info
      is, but my brain as you can tell isn't working all that well today.
      sigh...

      Missb
    • sisterbellabee@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2008
        In a message dated 8/10/2008 9:15:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time, msbhavens1@... writes:
        is the lunar eclipse that follows a solar eclipse in the same saros
        series, for instance, Lunar eclipse occurs on 16th, is it also a 10
        Saros South Eclipse or does it belong to its own seperate series...
        Hi MissB!

        The eclipse 'season' is a time when the Sun falls near to the lunar nodes.  During this time there are eclipses, twice a year, about six months apart (the nodes form a natural axis of opposition in the ecliptic zodiac, so every six months there will be eclipses, both solar and lunar, around the nodes).

        The saros *family* of 10 North and the saros *family* of 10 South have made their appearance this past year when the Sun approached the north lunar node in Aquarius, and the south lunar node in Leo.  There were solar and lunar eclipses during each transit of the Sun to the nodes.

        Next year's saros cycles will be of 11 North and 11 South; the Sun will be quite close to the nodes during the eclipses and so the solar eclipses will be very strong central eclipses, 'total', with less noticeable penumbral lunar eclipses before and after the solar eclipses.

        Does this answer your question?

        Sincerely, Sherri

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 11, 2008
          Nope, I wanted to know is the Lunar Eclipse also a 10 Saros South
          Eclipse or does it belong to its own family? as in the august 1st
          SOLAR eclipse is 10 Saros South, But does it follow that the Lunar
          Eclipse is also? I believe it has its own family, but can't find the
          reference. dag nabit :( and Brady book gives the solar but not lunar
          eclipse families so having fun trying to find the answer.

          My natal Saturn is at 10 Aqu 15, natal moon at 18 Leo 45, and natal
          sun at 23 Aries 39, I think both eclipse are significant for me, but
          want more data. I'm afraid I'm a data banana. :)

          MissB

          --- In thefixedstars@yahoogroups.com, sisterbellabee@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 8/10/2008 9:15:22 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          > msbhavens1@... writes:
          >
          > is the lunar eclipse that follows a solar eclipse in the same
          saros
          > series, for instance, Lunar eclipse occurs on 16th, is it also a
          10
          > Saros South Eclipse or does it belong to its own seperate
          series...

          > Hi MissB!
          >
          > The eclipse 'season' is a time when the Sun falls near to the
          lunar nodes.
          > During this time there are eclipses, twice a year, about six
          months apart
          > (the nodes form a natural axis of opposition in the ecliptic
          zodiac, so every
          > six months there will be eclipses, both solar and lunar, around
          the nodes).

          > The saros *family* of 10 North and the saros *family* of 10 South
          have made
          > their appearance this past year when the Sun approached the north
          lunar node
          > in Aquarius, and the south lunar node in Leo. There were solar
          and lunar
          > eclipses during each transit of the Sun to the nodes.
          >
          > Next year's saros cycles will be of 11 North and 11 South; the Sun
          will be
          > quite close to the nodes during the eclipses and so the solar
          eclipses will be
          > very strong central eclipses, 'total', with less noticeable
          penumbral lunar
          > eclipses before and after the solar eclipses.
          >
          > Does this answer your question?
          >
          > Sincerely, Sherri
          >

          > **************Looking for a car that's sporty, fun and fits in your
          budget?
          > Read reviews on AOL Autos.
          > (http://autos.aol.com/cars-BMW-128-2008/expert-review?
          ncid=aolaut00050000000017 )

        • sisterbellabee@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 11, 2008
            In a message dated 8/11/2008 1:29:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time, msbhavens1@... writes:
            Nope, I wanted to know is the Lunar Eclipse also a 10 Saros South
            Eclipse or does it belong to its own family? as in the august 1st
            SOLAR eclipse is 10 Saros South, But does it follow that the Lunar
            Eclipse is also? I believe it has its own family, but can't find the
            reference. dag nabit :( and Brady book gives the solar but not lunar
            eclipse families so having fun trying to find the answer.

            My natal Saturn is at 10 Aqu 15, natal moon at 18 Leo 45, and natal
            sun at 23 Aries 39, I think both eclipse are significant for me, but
            want more data. I'm afraid I'm a data banana. :)
            Here is the saros series of eclipses for this lunar eclipse:

            You can see from this list that this particular partial lunar eclipse is nearing or approaching the middle of its series.  Being only six degrees past the node it is actually closer to a the nodes than the total eclipse (which was 9 degrees away).

            This Lunar saros, numbered #138, is a saros series that accompanies the solar eclipse two weeks earlier.  Both of these would belong in the saros family of 10 South.

            Sincerely, Sherri

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 11, 2008
              that is what I wanted to know! thanks!