Re: Yahoo! News Story - The Star That Everyone Missed - Yahoo! News

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22, 2008

      > Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
      > Personal message:
      >

      > The Star That Everyone Missed - Yahoo! News

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20080722/sc_space/thestarthateveryonemissed

      The Star That Everyone Missed

      Space.com Staff

      SPACE.com Tue Jul 22, 7:02 AM ET

      An orbiting X-ray observatory has discovered an exploding star in the
      Milky Way which somehow escaped notice by the usual crowd of star gazers.

      Calculations show that the star's sudden brightness was clearly
      visible to the naked eye, but no one reported anything until the
      European Space Agency's XMM-Newton telescope spotted an unexpected
      burst of cosmic X-rays.

      On Oct. 9, 2007, XMM-Newton was turning from one target to another
      when it passed across a bright source of X-rays that no one was
      expecting. The source was not listed in any previous X-ray catalog,
      yet the mysterious object was lighting up XMM-Newton's view of the cosmos.

      The XMM-Newton team looked up three possible celestial candidates as
      at this location, including a normally faint star known only by its
      catalog number USNO-A2.0 0450-03360039. Acting quickly, Andy Read of
      the University of Leicester and Richard Saxton of ESA's European Space
      Astronomy Centre (ESAC), Spain, e-mailed other astronomers about the
      newly-discovered X-ray source.

      More sleuthing

      Astronomers turned to the 6.5-meter Magellan-Clay telescope at Las
      Campanas Observatory in Chile, and found that USNO-A2.0 0450-03360039
      had become 600 times brighter than normal. Analyzing the light from
      the source meant that they could classify the object as a nova.

      Novae occur when a small, compact star, called a white dwarf, feeds
      off the gas of a nearby companion star. Gas builds up on the white
      dwarf until a nuclear reaction begins releasing large quantities of
      energy, causing the white dwarf to explode in brightness.

      That led to a puzzle. An explosion of this type does not immediately
      release X-rays, because the expanding cloud of debris created in the
      detonation temporarily masks them. That meant the explosion must have
      taken place many days before XMM-Newton spotted the X-ray burst,
      although no one reported seeing it.

      Amateur and professional astronomers usually find novae by regularly
      sweeping the night sky for stars or other objects that suddenly
      brighten — but humans are not alone in watching the sky. Saxton
      contacted the robotic All Sky Automated Survey project and asked
      astronomers to check their data. They found the nova had taken place
      on June 5, 2007, and had been clearly visible, and that it would have
      been bright enough to see with the unaided eye. "Anyone who went
      outside that night and looked towards the constellation of Puppis
      would have seen it," Saxton says.

      Still tracking The nova has now received the official name of V598
      Puppis and has become one of the brightest for almost a decade,
      despite not getting spotted during its brilliant peak. As news of its
      existence spread, the global effort to track its fading light became
      intense.

      "Suddenly there was all this data being collected about the star,"
      Read says. "For variable star work like this, the contribution of the
      amateur community can be at least as important as that from the
      professionals."

      This story has a happy ending thanks to XMM-Newton, which has covered
      30 percent of the sky and documented 7,700 X-ray sources. However, the
      event does make astronomers wonder whether there are other discoveries
      going unnoticed.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 22, 2008
        V598 Puppis

        http://listaarchivum.tapiomente.hu/?lista=mira&msg=6533

        RA 7h05m42.7s
        Declination -38°14'42"

        27 Cancer 20.

        I think I'll call this Read-Saxton Star.