Yahoo! News Story - The Star That Everyone Missed - Yahoo! News

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22 9:41 AM
      Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
      (Email address has not been verified.)
      Personal message:

      The Star That Everyone Missed - Yahoo! News

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20080722/sc_space/thestarthateveryonemissed

      Yahoo! News
      http://news.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 22 9:45 AM

        > Mark Andrew Holmes (mahtezcatpoc@...) has sent you a news article.
        > Personal message:
        >

        > The Star That Everyone Missed - Yahoo! News

        http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20080722/sc_space/thestarthateveryonemissed

        The Star That Everyone Missed

        Space.com Staff

        SPACE.com Tue Jul 22, 7:02 AM ET

        An orbiting X-ray observatory has discovered an exploding star in the
        Milky Way which somehow escaped notice by the usual crowd of star gazers.

        Calculations show that the star's sudden brightness was clearly
        visible to the naked eye, but no one reported anything until the
        European Space Agency's XMM-Newton telescope spotted an unexpected
        burst of cosmic X-rays.

        On Oct. 9, 2007, XMM-Newton was turning from one target to another
        when it passed across a bright source of X-rays that no one was
        expecting. The source was not listed in any previous X-ray catalog,
        yet the mysterious object was lighting up XMM-Newton's view of the cosmos.

        The XMM-Newton team looked up three possible celestial candidates as
        at this location, including a normally faint star known only by its
        catalog number USNO-A2.0 0450-03360039. Acting quickly, Andy Read of
        the University of Leicester and Richard Saxton of ESA's European Space
        Astronomy Centre (ESAC), Spain, e-mailed other astronomers about the
        newly-discovered X-ray source.

        More sleuthing

        Astronomers turned to the 6.5-meter Magellan-Clay telescope at Las
        Campanas Observatory in Chile, and found that USNO-A2.0 0450-03360039
        had become 600 times brighter than normal. Analyzing the light from
        the source meant that they could classify the object as a nova.

        Novae occur when a small, compact star, called a white dwarf, feeds
        off the gas of a nearby companion star. Gas builds up on the white
        dwarf until a nuclear reaction begins releasing large quantities of
        energy, causing the white dwarf to explode in brightness.

        That led to a puzzle. An explosion of this type does not immediately
        release X-rays, because the expanding cloud of debris created in the
        detonation temporarily masks them. That meant the explosion must have
        taken place many days before XMM-Newton spotted the X-ray burst,
        although no one reported seeing it.

        Amateur and professional astronomers usually find novae by regularly
        sweeping the night sky for stars or other objects that suddenly
        brighten — but humans are not alone in watching the sky. Saxton
        contacted the robotic All Sky Automated Survey project and asked
        astronomers to check their data. They found the nova had taken place
        on June 5, 2007, and had been clearly visible, and that it would have
        been bright enough to see with the unaided eye. "Anyone who went
        outside that night and looked towards the constellation of Puppis
        would have seen it," Saxton says.

        Still tracking The nova has now received the official name of V598
        Puppis and has become one of the brightest for almost a decade,
        despite not getting spotted during its brilliant peak. As news of its
        existence spread, the global effort to track its fading light became
        intense.

        "Suddenly there was all this data being collected about the star,"
        Read says. "For variable star work like this, the contribution of the
        amateur community can be at least as important as that from the
        professionals."

        This story has a happy ending thanks to XMM-Newton, which has covered
        30 percent of the sky and documented 7,700 X-ray sources. However, the
        event does make astronomers wonder whether there are other discoveries
        going unnoticed.
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 22 9:53 AM
          V598 Puppis

          http://listaarchivum.tapiomente.hu/?lista=mira&msg=6533

          RA 7h05m42.7s
          Declination -38°14'42"

          27 Cancer 20.

          I think I'll call this Read-Saxton Star.